Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Embed U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore

What is wrong with the American and British navies???

Each of them supposedly have very sophisticated radar and sonar equipment capable of identifying a potential danger to the ships and yet again (twice in 2 months) the Americans managed to collide with yet another tanker. It's not as if these vessels are tginy and therefore 'below' the radar or sonar, these tankers tend to be several times of magnitude larger than the Destroyer which has been damaged.

https://www.aol.co.uk/video/us-warsh...D-197294259_uk
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Re: Embed U.S. warship collides with tanker near Singapore

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What is wrong with the American and British navies???

Each of them supposedly have very sophisticated radar and sonar equipment capable of identifying a potential danger to the ships and yet again (twice in 2 months) the Americans managed to collide with yet another tanker. It's not as if these vessels are tginy and therefore 'below' the radar or sonar, these tankers tend to be several times of magnitude larger than the Destroyer which has been damaged.

https://www.aol.co.uk/video/us-warsh...D-197294259_uk
Looking at your link pictures, it seems that the US Warship must have thrown itself sideways in order to strike the bows of the other ship! All the warship's damage is amidships!!

Having had a little experience in crowded waterways, I would suggest that the tanker captain was probably responsible for the mishap, either by misjudging the speed of the warship crossing his bows, or maybe even by being on Auto Pilot with nobody watching!

Both vessels would have great difficulty, in coming to a stop, as you have to allow several miles to get speed down to zero. The Tanker ran into the side of the warship...but probably should have been turning to go round the stern.

There are strong rules about who has right of way and who should be altering course!

Strange things happen at sea!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Seeing pictures like that I always think it's an enormous ocean, but they still crashed !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Looking at your link pictures, it seems that the US Warship must have thrown itself sideways in order to strike the bows of the other ship! All the warship's damage is amidships!!

Having had a little experience in crowded waterways, I would suggest that the tanker captain was probably responsible for the mishap, either by misjudging the speed of the warship crossing his bows, or maybe even by being on Auto Pilot with nobody watching!

Both vessels would have great difficulty, in coming to a stop, as you have to allow several miles to get speed down to zero. The Tanker ran into the side of the warship...but probably should have been turning to go round the stern.

There are strong rules about who has right of way and who should be altering course!

Strange things happen at sea!!
I'm not unfamiliar with the problem, having served in the Merchant Navy for a while as an Officer cadet on a 100,000 LPG tanker.

Probably because the stupid American captain assumed that a Tanker can either (a) stop on a sixpence, (b) change course in a matter of moments. He probably didn't appreciate that Tankers must stay in the shipping lane, because the amount of draft it draws means it cannot vere out of lane without running aground.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 12:30 PM

To have one collision may be regarded as a misfortune; to have two looks like carelessness.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

21-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
To have one collision may be regarded as a misfortune; to have two looks like carelessness.

Precisely matey!!! - which is why the Navigation Officer on board that warship needs to take advice from the actor Lesley Phillips - "Left hand down a bit".
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Only a YouTube joke but you get the picture. Its an old one but maybe relevant.

That was my first attempt at posting a video without using just a link.😀
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

21-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->

Only a YouTube joke but you get the picture. Its an old one but maybe relevant.

That was my first attempt at posting a video without using just a link.😀

Yes I have seen this before but its typical of the arrogant, ignorant American military!!!
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Sorry I've only just noticed on a news page that seven lives were lost or I wouldn't have posted something funny.
Apologies.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Precisely matey!!! - which is why the Navigation Officer on board that warship needs to take advice from the actor Lesley Phillips - "Left hand down a bit".
The warship was hit in the side by the bow of the Liberian Tanker.

Saying it wasn't the tanker's fault, because he couldn't stop quickly enough, is not an option.

If you were a deck apprentice, on tankers, I suggest that you would have been taught that the Master of the ship should always cover all of the safety needs, in terms of speed, stopping distance, and clearance.

He rammed the warship!

Look at the pictures!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top