Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 08:25 PM

Feeding the Wild Birds

Where's a NOM when you need one?
Some conflicting advice here - see what you think.

Professor Mark Fellowes at Reading University carried out over 100 tests placing artificial nests containing Quail eggs within 5 and 10 metres away from Peanut bird feeders, some filled with food, others empty.
Only 10% of the nests nearest the feeders filled with food survived, compared with almost 50% of those that were placed near empty feeders.
They concluded that putting food out for birds during the breeding season makes it 5 times more likely that any nests made near the feeders will be attacked by predators such as grey squirrels. Consequently, they are now advising us NOT to feed birds during the breeding season.

The results are at odds with the RSPB who have urged gardeners to feed our wild birds all year-round.
An RSPB spokesman said they will "carefully consider the evidence."

So, to feed or not to feed?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 08:28 PM

Re: Feeding the Wild Birds

Hi

I have fed a few wild birds in my time.

I even married a couple of them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 08:31 PM

A couple??
And there's me thinking you were a good virtuous husband - ONCE.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 09:28 PM

AFAIK Birds dont usually like to nest too near to feeders.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 10:40 PM

i would only feed during nesting if the weather was unusually inclement, and natural foraging was hard to come by.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2017, 10:42 PM

So when do you think they will start nesting - February time?
Or is that a bit too early?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 10:46 PM

March onward but again its weather dependent, leaving a few nesting bits and bobs around the feeders will give indication of homebuilding.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
March onward but again its weather dependent, leaving a few nesting bits and bobs around the feeders will give indication of homebuilding.

Like what?
You know how soft and cotton woolly the Beddies fur is, well I sometimes scatter that around the top of shrubs and fences for the birds to take, do you reckon that's OK?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

24-01-2017, 10:52 PM

sure grooming material from pets, wool, moss, twigs and tail pff feeding during this time but dont stop it all at once, or change to a bit of live food
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Thanks Nom. I usually buy a fairly basic seed mix, but without too much wheat, then add some extra bits and bobs, like small currants, suet, mealworms and a few porridge oats. The other day I added a bit of grated cheese which soon disappeared.
I guess they are happy, because they are always hanging around in the mornings waiting for their breakfast.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top