Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:26 PM

Crisis in the Elderly!

Now we are told there will be an increase in Council tax to pay for care of The Elderly.

The Fact is that the Government has always neglected the elderly in the UK and they would rather throw good money after bad, and give it away to World Aid, where much is squandered.

Every Winter, many elderly die of Hypothermia and many live alone in poor health and rely on a Carer who can spare 15 to 30 minutes with them for which they have to pay There is now a crisis in the treatment of the elderly as people are living longer, but living a stressful lonely life .

It is disgraceful and unjust MPs ought to be made to live in a cold flat or home without any help when sick and see how they like it. Of course they would not let their own elderly parents live in those archaic conditions, No! They are in very expensive Residential Homes , Aren't they?
And another thing, why can’t they control the high cost of these Homes?
Some charge £1,000. 00 per week. More than a first class Hotel and they eat minuscule meals.
One MP said people should save for retirement. That presumes you are getting a decent wage not living from hand to mouth
This crisis is the Government s own fault. They have got their priorities all wrong.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:46 PM

Re: Crisis in the Elderly!

Because there is very little care in the community for the elderly many hospital beds are occupied by recovering old people because they have nowhere to go when they are discharged. It's disgraceful!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:48 PM

I quite agree with Azure about the cost of care homes, I'd like to know what exactly costs so much!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:49 PM

And how are 'the elderly' supposed to afford an increase in Council Tax ?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I quite agree with Azure about the cost of care homes, I'd like to know what exactly costs so much!
They are oblige to have trained staff and a nurse as well,The Owners or Companies that own many. all make a very good profit.
As Rented Properties are controlled I think the cost of Residential Homes should also be controlled as well
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

14-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
And how are 'the elderly' supposed to afford an increase in Council Tax ?
Many will have there Tax subsidised, but that won't help them in day to day living.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

14-12-2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Because there is very little care in the community for the elderly many hospital beds are occupied by recovering old people because they have nowhere to go when they are discharged. It's disgraceful!
Yes that is true, but some are sent home to an empty house and expected to manage, when they are not well and frail too.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Yes that is true, but some are sent home to an empty house and expected to manage, when they are not well and frail too.
I think you'll find that most refuse the care that's offered.
NHS provides a social worker to work with the vulnerable and assess their care needs before discharge.
Most, I'd imagine, turn this down.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
They are oblige to have trained staff and a nurse as well,The Owners or Companies that own many. all make a very good profit.
As Rented Properties are controlled I think the cost of Residential Homes should also be controlled as well

Couldn't agree more Azure, absolutely right.
There must be good profits to be made out of elderly care because in this area, more and more ordinary houses are being turned into residential care. Anywhere with a couple fo spare rooms seems to be having an annexe built on and opening as a care home. Quite a few seemed to be owned by foreign people too. Not racist, just stating a fact.

I also agree with Foxy in the second post, that there are many what they call 'bed blockers' in hospital because there is no where for them to go.
A lady I know personally, only 47 years old, has finally come out of hospital after 5 months, because she was unable to manage at her house and had no care. 5 months! I could hardly believe it.

I understand you must expect to pay to have a nurse and carers on call 24 hrs a day. You also have no food to buy or cooking to do, no washing, ironing and shopping, gardening, housework, or anything else to try and keep up with, but still some homes charge very high rents and most residents have to sell their only asset, their own property, to be able to afford care.

It is no good saying the relatives and family should look after the elderly either, because in many instances this is not possible.
Firstly, not every house has a spare bedroom for a start.
Secondly, younger couples might both at work full time so nobody would be there to care for someone.
Thirdly, depending on the health problems involved, some people's needs are beyond an untrained person's capabilities, they need professional nursing and equipment.

It is a very sad scenario, and I think it is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
Take ourselves for example. Do you know how you will cope if you find yourself on your own one day?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I think you'll find that most refuse the care that's offered.
NHS provides a social worker to work with the vulnerable and assess their care needs before discharge.
Most, I'd imagine, turn this down.

I think you've also got a good valid pont there Tpin.

My poor old Mum was the most stubborn person I've ever met.
It was a tremendous worry for me trying to get her to accept help. When I finally managed to get extra help organised, I would go over to see her only to find she'd cancelled eveyone again!!
I loved her dearly, but coping with her sometimes wore me to a frazzle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top