Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Yawn!!! That awful time of year again

Yep i don't mind admitting it I HATE CHRISTMAS nowadays it was so much better years ago but now carols in shops weeks before , adverts on the tv about it again weeks before, its just getting to far out of hand it is completely spoilt. Does anyone know a nice quiet place away from it all next year like a log cabin deep in the woods?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:01 PM

Re: Yawn!!! That awful time of year again

Can't say I like Christmas either, but it's fun decorating the charity Christmas tree for my ex Boss.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:08 PM

What's up Doc?
Oh, I have been so waiting to say that.

I love this time of the year, sorry but I really do. Who does not like a Christmas cracker? Well apart from the bang.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:10 PM

People are always afraid to say they hate Christmas, but many do!
I know most people enjoy spending time with their families, but why not do it in the middle of the summer where you can be outside in the garden or out on a trip, so not cooped up in a warm house where it is difficult to do your own thing when you want to.
I enjoy nice parties and celebrations, but not when they are all packed into the same month, when everybody else is doing the same thing!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:16 PM

Christmas has lost what it once had IMO.....I enjoy the pretty fairy lights and the christmas lunch but thats about it for me ....I can well do without all the false jollity just because its xmas.....Bahhh!!!!! HUMBUG!!! lol
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Yep i don't mind admitting it I HATE CHRISTMAS nowadays it was so much better years ago but now carols in shops weeks before , adverts on the tv about it again weeks before, its just getting to far out of hand it is completely spoilt. Does anyone know a nice quiet place away from it all next year like a log cabin deep in the woods?
Don't dislike Christmas as such, just the run up to it, people buying food like there will be a shortage all of a sudden. I'm just glad when it's Christmas Eve shops are closed and if you haven't got it tough.
But if you happen to find that log cabin Doc let me know where it sounds quite appealing to hide up till spring 🌷🌼
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
People are always afraid to say they hate Christmas, but many do!
I know most people enjoy spending time with their families, but why not do it in the middle of the summer where you can be outside in the garden or out on a trip, so not cooped up in a warm house where it is difficult to do your own thing when you want to.
I enjoy nice parties and celebrations, but not when they are all packed into the same month, when everybody else is doing the same thing!
Well said Diane i agree with all that
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

24-11-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Christmas has lost what it once had IMO.....I enjoy the pretty fairy lights and the christmas lunch but thats about it for me ....I can well do without all the false jollity just because its xmas.....Bahhh!!!!! HUMBUG!!! lol
I don't even like the lights and as for the xmas meal one can have a meal like that any time of the year can't they so xmas to me is far overated. Maybe it should be banned yes yes yes!!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 01:22 PM

A very emotional time for many for those who are bereaved or lost and struggling . Somehow this time of year makes it worse .

I don't like Christmas yet I do it for my children and yes the days with them are nice but I breath a sigh of relief when it's over .

As for new year , I usually sit with a nice meal and a bottle of merlot and again sigh with relief when it's all over

My dad always said bah humbug to us kids , he never bought us presants .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I don't even like the lights and as for the xmas meal one can have a meal like that any time of the year can't they so xmas to me is far overated. Maybe it should be banned yes yes yes!!!
To be fair Doc, some people believe it is a celebration of Christ's birth, so I don't think it would be fair to ban it because it still has some religious meaning for them.
What makes it awful is the commercial enterprises that see it as a way to get people to spend money with them, so use it as a form of marketing.
For those who believe I think it is nice to go to church and hear the carols, or see the nativity displays. It is also nice when they provide a meal, for the less fortunate in their vicinity, and give them a happy time.
For those who don't believe you could have the family round, on any other day of the year ,.for a nice roast dinner! Just think about it:-
1) No queuing at the shops because you wouldn't be doing it at the same time as everybody else.
2) No money wasted on unwanted presents.
3) Lack of waste means more space in the bins.
4) No competing to have the best decorated house.
5) No Christmas cards to buy, write out and post.
6) And for those who like the caring side of Christmas, you could just invite a lonely person round to join you for Sunday lunch, any day of the year, and still make them happy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top