Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Lego drops the Daily Mail following #stopfundinghate campaign

I hope more companies will follow suit:

Originally Posted by Lego
We have finished the agreement with The Daily Mail and are not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper
This is the letter that got them to change:

Dear Lego.

I love Lego. My 6 year old son loves Lego. He inherited all of mine three years ago and his collection has multiplied many times since. We spend time going to Brickies, our local Lego club. All he wants for Christmas is Lego, and we're even taking him to Windsor for a stay in the Lego hotel at Christmas.

It seems you can do no wrong.

But I'm concerned. For a few years now you have done free giveaways in the Daily Mail newspaper. And while holding back that wretching feeling, I've paid for a copy to get the free Lego pack. (And then promptly binned the paper) The poly bag packs usually end up as part of my sons advent calendar. Which he loves. But I'm afraid to say I can no longer do it.
While I disagree with their political stand I can accept their right to have it.

But lately their headlines have gone beyond offering a right wing opinion. Headlines that do nothing but create distrust of foreigners, blame immigrants for everything, and as of yesterday are now having a go at top judges in the U.K. for being gay while making a legal judgment. Their stories have gone a little too far. (A lot too far)

It genuinely bothers me, that a great progressive company like yours supports this "news" paper, helping increase its circulation.

Lego, to me has always been an inclusive product. Breaking barriers between gender, building children's imagination and confidence to do their own thing. Something adults and children can and do, bond over.

Your links to the Daily Mail are wrong. And a company like yours shouldn't be supporting them. And as crap as I feel telling my son he can't have the free Lego kit that he sees on the front of the paper in the store, I have explained to him that the paper it is attached to is the sort of paper that tells lies about people, like some of his friends from school. Even my six year old understands that what they print is wrong.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this opinion. And I'm sure many people would like to know if you intend to keep supporting this publication in the future.

#stopfundinghate #nolego
Well done Bob Jones (the author of the letter) - wish there were more kind and sincere people like you in the world, and less of the nasty hateful type.

Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Re: Lego drops the Daily Mail following #stopfundinghate campaign

Well done to him and to Lego too, I understand other companies are going this way too in the near future. Would be nice if papers got back to just telling us the news.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:17 PM

I think it's unfair to target just the daily Mail as all newspapers tell lies even the Guardian. Not being able to get free rubbish giveaways however is no great loss.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:21 PM

All papers have a bias and all make editorial faux pas from time to time, it would be naive to think otherwise, but this sanctimonious holier than thou attitude, whilst trying to claim the moral high ground just because you dislike someone's politics I find both arrogant and puerile.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:22 PM

Well it is the newspaper that Lego has an agreement with, so that is the only paper they can stop their campaign with, nothing unfair about it at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
All papers have a bias and all make editorial faux pas from time to time, it would be naive to think otherwise, but this sanctimonious holier than thou attitude, whilst trying to claim the moral high ground just because you dislike someone's politics I find both arrogant and puerile.
True but the mail makes a particular art form of stirring up trouble and their stance on women has always ticked me off so anything that hurts them is I'm afraid fine by me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
True but the mail makes a particular art form of stirring up trouble and their stance on women has always ticked me off so anything that hurts them is I'm afraid fine by me.
I must say that I had never noticed these traits in the Mail any more than any other paper, I would be interested to know what to you read that is so truthful and unbiased?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-11-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I must say that I had never noticed these traits in the Mail any more than any other paper, I would be interested to know what to you read that is so truthful and unbiased?
I don't read the papers at all these days Barry. I get my news from radio and BBC and I quite like the funnies in the huffington post.

Only time I read a paper is if someone gives a link to a story and I'm never anything but shocked by dm and the way they talk about women and minorities.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well done to him and to Lego too, I understand other companies are going this way too in the near future. Would be nice if papers got back to just telling us the news.
So, what news would you like to hear?
That all migrants do not cost us money.
Some migrants do not arrive hear to have babies.
Some migrants get houses to fill it with their endless children.
Some migrants claim for children not in this country.
Some politicians tell the truth.

The list, I guess, is not exhaustive,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-11-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
So, what news would you like to hear?
That all migrants do not cost us money.
Some migrants do not arrive hear to have babies.
Some migrants get houses to fill it with their endless children.
Some migrants claim for children not in this country.
Some politicians tell the truth.

The list, I guess, is not exhaustive,
That women are not too fat
That women are not too thin
That women occasionally have a brain
That women can wear what the hell we want and won't be shamed in their pages
That not all benefit claimants have 15 kids and are claiming for a non existent back ache.

Little things really but important to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top