Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 09:01 AM

How could they!!

Just heard on the BBC news that Wales has capitulated to that renowned corrupt organisation, FIFA who stated that the wearing of Poppies on footballers shirts is banned because it is a political statement.. The reason given is that they cannot afford the fine!!Sold out their souls then for the sake of money!!

I'm ashamed of Wales giving in to FIFA this way. England, Scotland and Wales were adamant they would wear their Poppies with pride and to hell with FIFA after this disgraceful announcement that the Poppy is political.

What a slap in the face for the fallen of those proud regiments.from Wales( I will say the same to England or Scotland if they do the same).

I'm so disappointed in Wales giving in and bolstering the ridiculous claim of one woman who decided that our honouring the fallen from all wars could possibly be a political statement.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Re: How could they!!

FIFA is a corrupt organisation, how dare they tell the players they can't wear poppies!
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 09:38 AM

FIFA are nothing but a load of bastards. Do they not realise that if it was not for the fallen they probably would not be here.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Just want to add why don't the players just wear the poppies and to hell with the consequences.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 09:56 AM

Good job the Welsh Tommies had rather more courage, pretty shameful really not having the balls to tell Fifa where to get off...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Perhaps the Welsh should read this, it was sent to me yesterday.

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement,

To be worn but once a year,

I am not glorification

Of conflict or of war.

I am not a paper ornament

A token,

I am more.

I am a loving memory,

Of a father or a son,

A permanent reminder

Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel

I'm old or shining new,

I'm a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:16 AM

FIFA signifies of lot of what is wrong in many places today.
A bunch of pathetic old men trying to tell everyone else what to do
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:28 AM

Don't be too down hearted SG, wales are planning on honouring the fallen by wearing black armbands tomorrow and behind each goal there are cards which will held up making a Welsh dragon and a poppy. There is a service today where Chris Coleman will lay a wreath in rememberance to the fallen.
So well done Wales for thinking outside the box (no pun intended)

Yes Fifa are corrupt (some of them) but they are still the governing body of football.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 10:29 AM

I'm feeling rather upset about this, I know I shouldn't as there is so much more going on in the world today that should upset me more, but the banning of the beautiful Poppy by an organisation that has been rife with corruption and fraud, to
wards a time honoured British tribute to the fallen of the wars was bad enough, and when the English, Scottish and Welsh football team leaders stepped forward and said that they would completely ignore the ban I felt so proud of them all for standing up on behalf of the whole of Britain.

Now I feel absolutely betrayed by the Welsh decision to abide by the ban and not wear the poppies with pride. It's the same as saying ...yes, you're right, it is a political statement!!
They may well say it is to do with not being able to afford the fine FIFA may have administered against them, but what happened to backs together against anyone who dares to besmirch the memory of our fallen.Wearing black armbands and putting up a poster will not suffice to being proud enough to wear a small red flower representing the poppy fields where thousands died to give us our freedom to live our lives. How dare ANYONE call it a political statement.

I hope those who took the decision to capitulate can live with their decision. I am ashamed and embarrassed for them. I can't begin to imagine what the proud Welsh population must think of this.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Enya ->
Don't be too down hearted SG, wales are planning on honouring the fallen by wearing black armbands tomorrow and behind each goal there are cards which will held up making a Welsh dragon and a poppy. There is a service today where Chris Coleman will lay a wreath in rememberance to the fallen.
So well done Wales for thinking outside the box (no pun intended)

Yes Fifa are corrupt (some of them) but they are still the governing body of football.
I agree, they are still being respectful and not having to pay a fine to FIFA who have done nothing to deserve any respect!
If any organisation should get money for them not being allowed to wear poppies it should be The British Legion or Help for Heroes etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top