Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Strange Behaviour

My little Shitzu has slept in her bed in my room for the past 9 years, bedtime and off she would go to her bed. Since my close friend died just over 3 weeks ago she refuses to sleep in my room or in her bed, she trembles and stares all round the room, shutting the door has her crying and scratching at me to be let out, I open the door and sheīs off like a rocket. Itīs very odd, she didnīt behave like this when we lost little Muffin, she just went into a sort of decline for 2 or 3 weeks.
I have never seen her behave like this, only when she is frightened by fireworks or thunderstorms. However I leave my bedroom door open and she is always on the bed with me when I wake up.

Any ideas anyone, I am completely at a loss to understand why she is suddenly so terrified of my bedroom at night.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Re: Strange Behaviour

How very weird clumsy, poor little soul sounds really upset.

I don't know what to suggest though as I don't know the cause. It's times like this when I say to myself "If only they could talk."

Do you think there has been a strange noise, or big bang, or something like that that's frightened her? Are there any distant fireworks that you haven't heard but she has? Flashes of lightening or rumbles and vibrations under ground that she might feel?

I hope you can sort it for her soon.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Try getting an Adaptil collar for her Clumsy ...I have ordered one for my new dog on the advice of a dog trainer.
Its supposed to calm them and has had some good reviews ..
I really hope she settles down soon as its upsetting to see isnt it?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Dogs pick up on your own emotional state , so if you have been having a weep over your friend while in your bedroom id say that could be it .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 10:31 AM

As you are in Spain perhaps a lizard or some other creature like a large spider has disturbed it .... if I were you I would check out the room and the dog's bed very carefully indeed.
I don't think it can be anything to to with the death of your friend.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 11:23 AM

Have you been upset over your friend ? Dogs pick up on the upset but don't always see the reason, she may think something in your room has caused your sadness.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have you been upset over your friend ? Dogs pick up on the upset but don't always see the reason, she may think something in your room has caused your sadness.
Dogs, like all animals live in the 'now' they do not have the mental capacity to 'empathise'
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 11:27 AM

I don't agree but that's ok you obviously never had dogs you were that close to.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2016, 11:33 AM

Some people seem to attribute all sorts of crazy things to their animals, especially dogs! We had had loads of the creatures in our 47 years of marriage, they behaved as the species they were, not surrogate humans!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't agree but that's ok you obviously never had dogs you were that close to.
That's where you are wrong Julie.
I have had two dogs in the past, the last one, a Westie I had for many years and we were as close as close can be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top