Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Aircraft spotting

A Vulcan flew over head yesterday then later the growl of a Merlin engine- Spitfire.

The spitfire is not that unusual but a Vulcan??

I got Jenny out to see it.

did I dream all this??

Nothing much on the news to say that the project to restore one was flying??
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Re: Aircraft spotting

No you didn't dream it OG. I think there's just one left flying now and that's the one I missed when it was cancelled at the Bournemouth Air Show this August. It was the Vulcan we were looking forward to seeing again. Last year she was so majestic - unbelievable! Lucky you!
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:12 PM

I think the charity to keep it in the air is called 'Vulcan to the Sky'?
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:17 PM

I did know one was being restored and did ?fly but thought it was grounded again.

This flew just past the house and turned in time for me to get Jenny out to see it.

A minute either way and I would have missed it
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

13-09-2010, 06:18 PM

I did know one was being restored and did ?fly but thought it was grounded again.

This flew just past the house and turned in time for me to get Jenny out to see it.

A minute either way and I wouldhave missed it
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:38 PM

OG, I was lucky enough to have flown in one during my time in the RAF.

We had been playing football at RAF Lyneham. As the team consisted mainly of Officers and conscripted guys one of the players was a pilot and was due to take the Vulcan to RAF Heathfield, I think it was if memory serves. Anyway he knew I was going on leave and offered me a lift to Salmesbury airfield. Not being one to turn down lifts I accepted.
He even got the personel there to run me home.

Afantastic experience.
maryl
UK

13-09-2010, 06:49 PM

Well that puts to shame my trip in a little Chipmonk when I was in the WRAF. Loved it, although absolutely frozen to the bones!
What a treat AB, the last flying Vulcan is based at Lyneham.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Well that puts to shame my trip in a little Chipmonk when I was in the WRAF. Loved it, although absolutely frozen to the bones!
What a treat AB, the last flying Vulcan is based at Lyneham.
Yes Maryl it was a treat and something that has never left my memory.
It was blooming noisey though.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 07:01 PM

This isn't exactly on topic but I had a pretty 'happening' childhood, and remember when a Dakota came down in one of our fields in the early 60s. My Dad and his workmen were first on the scene. The passengers survived, but the pilot and co-pilot were dead; I think they had been decapitated in the crash! The next day my sisters and I went to the site and collected bits of plane wreckage as sourvenirs, the police didn't seem to mind. Can you imagine them letting one do that today, even if we did own the field? We kept the wreckage in our toy cupboard for quite a few years until Mum chucked it out, which was a shame really!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Check these out OG: http://www.yophotographer.com/page.php?t=11663

Click on it to enlarge!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top