Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:37 AM

Sugar Smart App

I decided to download the healthy living sugar scanner onto my mobile and am really surprised at the amount of sugar in some items on my shelves.
Take a jar of 454g strawberry jam 59 sugar cubes! And yes i do know jam is only 50% fruit but it does seem an awful lot of sugar to me. I will have to look for jam without sugar it must be around Diabetics comes to mind.
If you can download this App onto your mobile do so it opens your eyes to how much sugar you take in.
Makes you wonder whats the point of not taking sugar in tea or coffee when this is going on.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Re: Sugar Smart App

The amount of sugar in our foods is shocking Doc,I dont take sugar in my tea anymore but as you said does it really make any difference if everything else is crammed full of it....
I do try to read how much sugar is in foods before I buy it but just wishthe labelling was better so we could all make better choices.
Some of the food we eat I cant for the life of me begin to understand just WHY the manufacturers need to fill it with sugar as it seems it serves no purpose whatsoever being in it.
Good luck in finding lower sugar alternatives to stock up on,I think it will be an eye opener for you
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 10:54 AM

agree doc with you' i watched the sugar free farm series' what a eye opener
think we may need to think befor we pick up ' its a hard slog when the manufactors are pouring it in still ....its in everything we consume ..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:17 AM

It will only be in processed food so if your diet consists mainly of fresh fruit and veg with unprocessed meat and fish you'll be OK.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:19 AM

I think the amount of obese and overweight people in the country today Alan shows that not many are eating just fresh fruit and veg
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:30 AM

This sugar smart app is also useful while shopping as you can scan the bar code and find out for yourself how much sugar each item contains. Hope this thread has helped some.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:40 AM

I didn't know about that
Very interesting
It would be good if the people who really need this app were to use it but I won't hold my breath. It is a very addictive substance (though the addiction is not so diddicult to break, imo. If one does cut down then coming across very sweet things is a bit repellant)
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I think the amount of obese and overweight people in the country today Alan shows that not many are eating just fresh fruit and veg
I didn't mean that you should eat ONLY unprocessed food but mainly unprocessed food. I eat, in moderation, cake, biscuits, sausages, crisp, etc. the operative word being 'in moderation'.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

21-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I didn't mean that you should eat ONLY unprocessed food but mainly unprocessed food. I eat, in moderation, cake, biscuits, sausages, crisp, etc. the operative word being 'in moderation'.
Definately Alan ,sugar is a hard substance to eradicate altogether
Docholliday
Norfolk UK

21-02-2016, 11:54 AM

Trouble is we don't really get the opportunity to eradicate it completely do we as its in almost everything we eat? I gave up sugar in tea and coffee big deal!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top