Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 08:17 PM

How I missed that !

Talking about apple pies on another post, reminded me of when I first left home for London. I recall all the dinner parties I went to and all the entertaining I gave in return, but honestly I really missed my mum's (Co Kerry Lady) huge joint of lean Bacon cooked in cabbage water and onion for flavour, served with scrubbed floury Red potatoes boiled in their skins and Greens or Savoy Cabbage so overcooked the smell of cabbage permenated the house for the following two days.
God,it tasted delicious though, how I missed that meal. No fuss, just good, honest food done the Irish way.

I laugh when I think what people would have said if I had tried serving something like that for them.

Did you ever miss something when you left home?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: How I missed that !

Yes my mums lovely sunday roasts. ☺
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 08:52 PM

Egg and Chips.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 08:59 PM

SG, Coming from an Irish family, that's what we lived on when I was a child...bacon and cabbage! The only drawback was, my mother was a rubbish cook and didn't chop up the cabbage but cooked the leaves whole! When they were cooked, she fished them out of the cabbage water with a fish slice! We also had the lovely floury potatoes cooked in their skin.
With all that goodness of the green outside leaves of the cabbage and the potatoes skins, no wonder we were healthy children and rarely ill !
She did make the most delicious Soda Bread though!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Apple Pie. My mum was good with pastry and I'm not. I'll make an apple crumble but apple pie, never.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:33 AM

My mum made a mean Bakewell tart and I ate loads of it !
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:11 AM

My mum's pavlova.
I have her recipe, but I can never get it quite right.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Bacon and cabbage was a regular thing in our house too.

Or going to grans and having sausages with mash and cabbage.

Dad always gave us a glass of cabbage water to drink with dinner he said it was good for us and we didnt mind we called it cabbage lemonade.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Talking about apple pies on another post, reminded me of when I first left home for London. I recall all the dinner parties I went to and all the entertaining I gave in return, but honestly I really missed my mum's (Co Kerry Lady) huge joint of lean Bacon cooked in cabbage water and onion for flavour, served with scrubbed floury Red potatoes boiled in their skins and Greens or Savoy Cabbage so overcooked the smell of cabbage permenated the house for the following two days.
God,it tasted delicious though, how I missed that meal. No fuss, just good, honest food done the Irish way.

I laugh when I think what people would have said if I had tried serving something like that for them.

Did you ever miss something when you left home?
I can't say I did. One has to move on, never go back, imo.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 09:53 AM

Mum was a great cook too , casseroles , stews , home made soups . Dad used to give me a glass of cabbage water with salt and pepper telling me I would never have spots . I drank it and loved it and I never ever have had or have spots .

I cook like my mum , so does my daughter , good stick to your ribs like glue food .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top