Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Arrogance

What do you think causes some people to be arrogant? Is it their upbringing or does it develop from life experience?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Re: Arrogance

Sorry misconstrued the OP, so removed my post to allow the thread to stay on topic.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Not sure if I have ever found it engaging, but that may be because overblown arrogance is what really prompted this thread.

(Response to Nom's deleted post, in case anyone is confused.)
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:11 AM

It's lifes experience definitely!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:15 AM

Feelings of inadequacy can often make people appear arrogant.
A lot of it is bravado ... so just nod, smile and walk away. No point in challenging them.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:15 AM

I cant bear arrogance or even over confidence in others either it makes me turn away from people.
Im naturally someone who is quite shy and very quiet in real life and like nothing more than to blend into the background and to just LISTEN rather than speak,its amazing what you can learn by listening and observing closely.
I tend to think that arrogance is encouraged in childhood...its as if the children have never been told NO at any point and had praise at every opportunity even if that praise was unwarranted. So the child then learns that no matter what they do theyre wonderful....yukkkkk hate that style of parenting.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

31-01-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Feelings of inadequacy can often make people appear arrogant.
A lot of it is bravado ... so just nod, smile and walk away. No point in challenging them.
Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I cant bear arrogance or even over confidence in others either it makes me turn away from people.
Im naturally someone who is quite shy and very quiet in real life and like nothing more than to blend into the background and to just LISTEN rather than speak,its amazing what you can learn by listening and observing closely.
I tend to think that arrogance is encouraged in childhood...its as if the children have never been told NO at any point and had praise at every opportunity even if that praise was unwarranted. So the child then learns that no matter what they do theyre wonderful....yukkkkk hate that style of parenting.
I agree with both of you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:18 AM

I would think its upbringing
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Not me then as I am very shy in real life. Childhood, well having the shit beaten out of me and my playground being the streets , gutters and bombed out buildings excludes me 100%.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 11:26 AM

I am not convinced it's up bringing some if the most arrogant people I ever met had very shy gentle parents, they became arrogant in adulthood. In their case it was as they prgressed in business and became more successful financially. I still know their parents and they never see their children as the children won't even acknowledge them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top