Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 06:21 PM

The wedding party

Well, I've been to the Hindu wedding party I said about recently. I wish I'd taken my camera, but I'll have to make do with memories instead.

I reckon there must have been between 200-300 people there, and I was only one of three English people.
I don't know what you call an Indian 'Vicar' equivalent, and unfortunately I couldn't understand what he was saying and chanting.
The immediate family of the happy couple were sitting up on a stage, their chairs had white drapes over them with a purple sash wrapped round it. Pretty.
A small fire was lit on stage, which some sat crossed legged around, and the 'vicar' kept spooning something onto it to keep the flames going. There were incense sticks burning and lots of bright colours everywhere, and unusual smells wafting about.

What struck me as really strange, was although the young groom was there, his fiance wasn't. Apparently she doesn't attend that day. I will find out why when I ask at yoga next week. The festivities are spread over three days culminating with the actual wedding ceremony tomorrow.

When all that part of the ceremony was over, lunch was served. I haven't idea what everything was, but it was very tasty. We got about 8 or 9 little amounts of assorted things, plus some seeds in a packet to eat afterwards to cleanse the palette. No alcohol.

So different to how we do things, (no booze for a start), but very interesting.
After lunch, the music and dancing started, again, very different to our parties. For a start, I didn't see any of the smoochy type dancing that often occurs after a few drinks, they sort of formed a big circle, no touching and groping! Everyone behaved impeccably.
However, it was ear-splittingly loud so some of us left earlier than others.

All the ladies, whatever age, from little children to old ladies, all looked gorgeous in the splendid array of colourful sari's and sparkles, and all dripping gold jewellery! I felt very plain!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 06:27 PM

Re: The wedding party

Sounds great - I guess for the groom this was his bachelor party ..............
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 06:27 PM

It all sounds very interesting.

Did you enjoy it ?

Did you like the food?

How old were the couple ?

Where was it held , a Mosque [ or is that not Hindu] ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Yes deylon, I did enjoy it thankyou, but it helped because I was able to sit with some indian friends from my yoga, and they helped me understand things. I wouldn't have been so happy on my own surrounded by strangers and not knowing anything.

I'm not good a judging ages, but I guess the groom was roughly mid - late 20's.

I'd love to learn a bit of their basic language, so I understood more, I wonder if it's difficult to learn?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:31 PM

Well I hate weddings of any kind Mups, the missus loves them. Just goes to show you how different peoples customs are. I would have to be fitted with a ring in me nose and dragged along to a wedding with no booze. I’m glad you enjoyed it though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 07:54 PM

It sounds lovely Mups. It sounds as thought you had a good time

What a shame you didn't get any photographs.
The son of a lady I worked with married an Indian girl who was a lawyer in the Caribbean and their Hindu wedding was held out there partly on the beach.
It looked amazing and very colourful .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 08:21 PM

What a lovely experience .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-11-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
What a lovely experience .

That's just it susan - it was an 'experience' and maybe one I won't have again.
I admit I was a bit wary as I walked in alone, partly to see so many people, and partly because I thought I felt very much the odd one out, but luckily I found the ladies I knew so sat with them.
They have always been really kind to me and looked after me, they know I don't understand their customs, so they help me, and I appreciate that.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 09:42 PM

That sounds amazing Mups. Brave of you to go alone and good that you found your friends to help you when you got there.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
It all sounds very interesting.

Did you enjoy it ?

Did you like the food?

How old were the couple ?

Where was it held , a Mosque [ or is that not Hindu] ?
Mosques are Muslim.

Hindu weddings are quite often held in Hotels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top