Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:26 PM

Got a light mate?

I admit to being a smoker many moons ago and yes i must admit i enjoyed a fag with a pint in the pub.
I smoked No6 and Embassy i only gave up because i started getting bad pains in the chest otherwise i would probably still be a smoker that is if i could afford to, what are they now around £8 for 20? Do you remember the coupons in some brands you saved them for goods from a catalogue.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:28 PM

Re: Got a light mate?

Yes - I think it was Kensitas ? ciggies
Loved green shield stamps though ............
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:30 PM

My mum was a big green shield stamps collector ...she had books and books of them
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Funny enough Doc the one time I gave up smoking years ago I started to get chest pains, only when I went back on the cigs did they go away, I never did bother to find out what that was all about.
They just slammed another 50 cents on the smokes in the recent budget here bringing the price of a packet of 20 up to 9.29 euro or £7.85. I smoke the roll your own and get it from Italy, my son goes over regularly and gets me a couple of months supply, far cheaper there and all perfectly legal, I definitely could not afford conventional cigarettes today, besides you lose the taste for them after you smoke real tobacco for a few years.
I notice on you avatar Doc Holiday is getting great value out of that dog end, He’s still on it since you came here.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 06:55 PM

Yes Jem its to late for him he has TB so has nothing to lose.😐
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:00 PM

I smoked from early teenage until my early 40's. I do remember the coupons that came with with packets of cigarettes. I'd sometimes smoke Senior Service or Marlboro if going out but much preferred to roll my own cigarettes using Golden Virginia tobacco and a Rizla rolling machine. Gave up about 28 years ago.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:09 PM

I was on two packs a day when I gave it up seven years ago. Back in the sixties and seventies I saved the coupons from No6's but when they stopped dishing out the coupons I went onto Park Drives, although I finished the last fifteen years of my smoking life with Bensons and Hedges. Happy days....
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:25 PM

I smoke Consulate Menthol which are over £9 per pack now and given that I smoke around 1 pack a day, that's almost £70 a week. If I were living on my salary alone, I don't think that would be affordable. It's purely because I am in a very fortunate financial situation that I can spend that kind of money without worrying about any consequences.

I remember back when I started in the late 60s you could buy a pack of cigarettes from money found down the side of the sofa cushions! Now you practically have to take out a second mortgage if you want to buy cigarettes on a regular basis.

Yes they are dangerous and injurious to health et cetera, but so are fast foods and yet you don't see people paying £9.50 for a cheeseburger!!

No, I'll never give up the fags.

I actually had a quick look and found the old Consulate theme song, very catchy! Not that it would be permitted these days!!

ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I smoked from early teenage until my early 40's. I do remember the coupons that came with with packets of cigarettes. I'd sometimes smoke Senior Service or Marlboro if going out but much preferred to roll my own cigarettes using Golden Virginia tobacco and a Rizla rolling machine. Gave up about 28 years ago.
I had forgotten about SS! My Dad used to smoke those, I always remember walking into his office and being hit by the smoke lingering in the air. Back then you didn't think about it though, it was just the done thing.

Jim was a Marlboro Man through and through - he smoked them from when he started in the 60s to the day he died this year. That's what you call brand loyalty.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2015, 07:39 PM

I smoked for 38 1/2 years and stopped over 10 years ago. I remember it well it was just before i was to go out for a meal with my Brother and Son. It was very awkward at first as i automatically went to pick up my handbag to get my cigs not realising that i had none on me.. But after a while and over the months it got easier

I started smoking at 14yrs with No.6 and Park drive and then later i changed to Embassy Envoy and Embassy Regal. Although i did smoke anything Solent, Consulate, Black Cat, John Players, Lambert & Butler most of the time it was what i could afford to spend.. But now i'm free of it and i'm glad i stopped

I use to collect Embassy Coupons and got quite a few things from the catalogue as my husband smoked too..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top