Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 01:04 PM

Cheaper to buy from Hong Kong

Just received a camera battery at least £20 cheaper from HK than here in the UK and a genuine one. Rip off Britain again
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Re: Cheaper to buy from Hong Kong

Bazza for me how 'cheap' or otherwise something turns out to be is dependant on how it functions.

I would not pay a lot of money for something purchased overseas which is not covered by our consumer regulations, it could turn out to be a false economy if it fails to work properly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 01:24 PM

agree Meg .This company has sold more stuff to members of a large photographic site I belong to and also well known in photographic circles. So I knew what I was buying and their returns policy.
However it is as advertised and well pleased with it
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 01:59 PM

Having been caught out with tax added to a purchase from USA (craft items) I am very wary of buying anything from over seas, I also worry if stuff is cheaper from abroad how their workers are being treated to make it so much cheaper.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Only bought a couple of things from overseas online and not impressed, both items of clothing arrived scrunched up - not good for me as I don't own an ironing board.
Shall stick to Next and M&S in future.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 05:21 PM

I’ve got dozens of items from China over the past two years and never had one complaint with the quality of the products, they go out of their way to see you get what you ordered and offer a money back guarantee if not satisfied, the only problem is waiting 3 to 4 weeks for the delivery, but post is mostly free and I’m in no hurry for the stuff, anything under 21 euros is free of all taxes here, I got a long distance video and audio signal sender for 24 euros, the exact same item is 86 euros in town, why pay more when you know you are being ripped off. Check out ‘Aliexpress’ for bargains galore on everything. But each to their own, I’m just passing on my experiences with the company.
Well done Bazza.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Having been caught out with tax added to a purchase from USA (craft items) I am very wary of buying anything from over seas, I also worry if stuff is cheaper from abroad how their workers are being treated to make it so much cheaper.
Hi

An awful lot of stuff you buy branded here is actually made abroad, the workers are paid exactly the same, so might as well buy it direct.

I recently purchased a pump for my marine aquarium from China, £64 delivered, exactly the same pump, relabelled with a British Supplier is £170, a complete rip off.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 05:32 PM

Buying from overseas can be very rewarding and much cheaper than here but you really do have to do your research.

Companies overseas won't take responsibility for the customs and excise laws in the UK and quite often such sites are deliberately vague about the associated costs. As a result many people buy something which is indeed far cheaper than buying here but are subsequently mortified when a bill from either the Post Office or Customs and Excise (or both!) appears on their doorstep some days later. Then it doesn't seem so cheap after all.

So you absolutely must understand the real costs of importing and ignore what the company's own website says.

I've bought quality items from overseas. The biggest purchase was probably a full set of custom golf clubs from the USA years ago. I knew what the import costs would be but even taking those into consideration , the price of the custom set was still staggeringly better value than buying an off-the-shelf set here in the UK.

Other people have worse experiences. Buying from China is clearly fraught with dangers. There are no end of phony websites showing very nice looking items on the website but the items you get sent are much worse quality. So you pay for high quality and get poor quality and getting such things returned or getting money back is often impossible. They are in effect fraud/scam sites.

Just do your research well and you can save lots of money.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Only bought a couple of things from overseas online and not impressed, both items of clothing arrived scrunched up - not good for me as I don't own an ironing board.
Shall stick to Next and M&S in future.
me neither Cranberry I purchased a jacket from HK it came back 2 sizes too small I asked to return it, the supplier said ok only if I paid return postage and tracking which came to £64 the jacket was only £30......so a tip never buy clothes from the far east, their sizes are entirely different to ours.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Hong Kong are so very good at forgeries they can copy anything perfectly☺

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top