Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 10:24 PM

A new swimming 'Pond'

I have just read that the UK's first public natural swimming pond is being built. It is to be 411 square metres and will accommodate up to 170 bathers. It will be chemical free, with only natural filtration being supplied by hundreds of plants.
Where is this new futuristic idea being built? In the middle of London as part of the Kings Cross Development.

They say "The plants will take time to establish, but we hope by mid-summer swimmers will be able to enjoy the array of beautiful plants, and the variety of insects and wildlife that the zone attracts."
There is also a picture of a woman in her swimming costume wading through the reedy water.

I can think of so many potential problems here, like what happens when it attracts swans or mallards (who will poo in the water, or nest build), what about snakes, foxes and biting insects it will attract? Will it stay clean if humans use it as a toilet too?
I wish I could show you the picture, but you can go to:
www.kingscross.co.uk/kings-cross-pond-club to read more.
It just looks like a big, natural wildlife pond, so I don't get the idea of it being advertised as a swimming pool for humans.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 10:32 PM

Re: A new swimming 'Pond'

Depends how long us Human Bods have been around, if it's been a while then peeps have probably been swimming in none constructed pools of this designation for a while.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 10:39 PM

I always swam in pools like that as a kid - what's new?

can't they think of anything original these days in UK - still when you consider that London is just full of foreigners these days perhaps they've never been used to natural pools?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 12:28 AM

Probably won't attract too much wildlife if it's in the middle of London, they'd get squashed on the way. Sounds nice though, but I wonder how long it will be until they start warning people not to swim in case there's rats and they could catch Veils disease. (not sure how you spell it)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 12:35 AM

r.a.t.s?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Sounds nice though, but I wonder how long it will be until they start warning people not to swim in case there's rats and they could catch Veils disease. (not sure how you spell it)
You mean signs like this?:

(This was at a creek and swimming hole in a hilly park in Malaysia)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 03:14 AM

Get your free Weils disease here, sounds like a Boris idea to me like his garden bridge. Considering the rate we are destroying natural habitat at the moment, you would think that building a pond for wildlife would go some way to redress the balance.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 05:07 AM

I swam in ponds when I was a child and I'm still here.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I swam in ponds when I was a child and I'm still here.
Yeah, but look how it has aged you.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yeah, but look how it has aged you.
Exactly Bruce, I'm 81years old and still quite healthy and active, so swimming in ponds has aged me well !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top