Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 12:58 AM

Making your Will

How old were you when you thought it time to think about making your Will?
Did you do it officially, through a Solicitor, or did you feel the DIY ones are adequate? Do you ever update it?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 06:30 AM

Re: Making your Will

I must have been about 65 when we made a joint will at the same time as I had the house put in joint names. We had it done professionally but there has been no need to update it since nothing has changed.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 08:39 AM

When we lived in Hampshire, our house was in joint ownership, but we wanted to convert that to "Tennants in Common" along with making wills.
However, we moved to Scotland where property law is somwhat different.

At 64, I suppose I should get a will made. There's nothing complicated, but I'll get a solicitor to do it. As they say "A man who acts as his own solicitor has a fool for a client".
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Not done mine yet, though I know I should.

Was hoping to wait until if and when I sold my flat, but that's being moved back each year. I also can't decide on the beneficiaries.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Didnt make one till i had something of value to give away,which was last year .Already forgot where it was put for safe keeping .
It was done through a Solicitor ..
ginge
New Member!
west midlands
ginge is male 

28-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Mine was first done 10 years ago and already changed twice �� Was done through a will making company.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 09:21 AM

I was 34 and had it done officially with a lawyer . Have updated it twice since then and will update it again soon .
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:12 AM

I was 31-when I married Jenny. Had it altered in 2010 after she passed away.

It`s not cheap but as long as you long as you put down everything before going to a solicitor it`s fairly quick.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Had a home made one, then one done by professional through work - which I could never understand myself!!
About 4 years ago we had mirror wills made through Solicitor, as we have made it a bit complicated in order to be fair.
How old were we? not sure, but in our 50's I imagine.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:33 AM

I was about 45, I think, when I made mine; I'm 64 now.
One of my wife's relations had died, and although we were not involved, there was a real family squabble over the will, inheritance, and all that sort of thing.
I had intended that everything I have should be left to her, or, (in the unfortunate event....) to our children, which would normally happen without a will anyway, but we thought it would be better to make it clear.

When we saw the solicitor she made a useful suggestion.
If you don't have a huge estate of goods, property, money, etc. the simplest thing is to leave it all to someone you trust, usually your spouse, and give them a letter of instructions for the disposal of the minor odds & ends

For example, in my case;

My watch to my son-in-law

After the family have picked over everything;

My hiking gear to the charity 'Gift Your Gear'

All my model aeroplane stuff to 'The International Plastic Modellers Society' for them to distribute to new, young members

Anything left over to be donated to the charity 'The Dogs Trust'.

You get the idea
So my will itself was quite simple & straightforward, and not very expensive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top