Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 04:13 PM

A simple Question

Does anyone in your family or someone you know perhaps live in a residential home, nursing home or care home?

I have had some experience with relatives but no recently of homes for older people plus of course disabled people where I work but I have never heard of a single one where pets were allowed, even sheltered housing where my MIL lives.

Have you? stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 04:27 PM

Re: A simple Question

Some allow you to bring your existing pet - Age Concern would have the info on that one ......
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 06:43 PM

My brother in laws mother is in a care home and has a dog, she had it before she went in, and was allowed to keep it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 08:59 PM

Two of my neighbours went into homes over the past couple of years, the old man took his terrier dog and the old lady her cat, they are both in the same big residential home, so no problems there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 10:23 PM

Where Mum was for her last two months of life, they used to let me take the dogs in visiting her, and stay for Sunday dinner with her too.
Not sure if residents were actually allowed to keep a dog there permanently, but there again, most of the residents there were too old or too poorly to be able to look after one anyway.

There is a newish place built near me where I am told residents are allowed to take one pet in with them though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 01:06 AM

When my sister was in the cottage hospital in Derbyshire (receiving palliative care) the Matron had an Airedale Terrier which wandered around the ward and I was encouraged to take my Schnauzer Amy in with me when I went to visit.
It brightened up the patients to have dogs around and encouraged them to speak.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top