Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:13 PM

My Drive Access

Several years ago I paid for a drop curb to give me access to my front garden parking and to keep my front clear so as for my visitors to park and myself to park for when i don't want to use the garage...one of my neighbour's regularly visitors has now taken to using it as her private space meaning myself or my visitors cant stop outside my own house .....It cost me mega pounds to secure that privilege so why should someone else benefit ...when confronted I was told I was monopolising the street ...I have 1 car ....they have 2 +1 ..lol some people ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Re: My Drive Access

Could you not get a yellow line ? Down the road from us 4 of the 9 houses had their curbs dropped and double yellows painted to stop people parking across them. Seemed to work here.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:43 PM

A friend of mine got in touch with her local Council and they have painted yellow lines on the road, to stop people parking in front of her dropped kerb.

Hope you can get it sorted Ukmartian, must be very frustrating for you.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:56 PM

A yellow line is not a option ...that would mean that myself or my visitors would not be able to park either plus it is a residential street , and would upset a lot of people besides surely it is common courtesy not to park over someones access ..when they do it is a pain trying to reverse into the drive between our houses. as it is a shared drive i cannot technically park there and it would mean putting the car into the garage even for a few minutes ....last week i could not park and had to negotiate the drive and damaged my car when i caught the wall as i could not swing in properly...we have again asked them to keep the gates clear ...we shall see...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 12:57 PM

It must be a breach of the Highway code to block someone's access, isn't it?
I live in a tiny cul-de-sac and people's visitors are always filling up the spaces, one family in particular, all you get if you complain is "it's a public highway".
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 01:09 PM

The whole issue of dropped Kerbs needs explaining properly as getting these done outside your own home these days has become so common that it is causing parking problems on suburban streets!

We have problems with our next-door neighbours who have three cars and a dropped kerb as they park the other two on the road - where I could park our car!

Their driveway is long enough to accommodate two or more cars but - believe it or not - they bought two old static caravans and installed them on their driveway for "storage"!!

I've tried umpteen times to get them to be more thoughtful but they just keep telling me "it's against the Law" when the answer to their dilemma is simple.

I've managed to get my neighbours to be a little more reasonable by threatening to complain about the "gypsy site" look they have created but you may need to read this

: - Can I park across my own dropped kerb

To avoid being issued a Penalty Charge Notice for parking across your own driveway where a dropped kerb has been implemented, contact your local council to confirm your residency details and make, models and registration of your vehicle.

Exemptions to the contravention of parking at dropped kerbs are:

Setting down or picking up passengers
Loading or unloading a vehicle providing there are no loading and unloading bans in place
Vehicles used by emergency services
Vehicles parked on the carriageway across a dropped kerb that have the occupiers consent
Waste collection trucks
Road work vehicles

May I suggest you try this FIRST - register your vehicle / vehicles with your Council THEN complain about persistent flouting of the Rules by your neigbours. OK? stevmk2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Sounds sensible!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2014, 01:33 PM

People are so thoughtless - I could crush a bag o grapes at times !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 12:44 AM

Ukm I really feel for you because I've been there. I was at the end of my tether one day and spoke to my neighbour, saying all I wanted was a bit of courtesy. He replied so did he. He took over the culdesac with his cars. It was like talking to a brick wall because of his selfishness.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 12:02 PM

It will soon come to pass that owning a car is more trouble than itīs worth - finding a place to park the thing when not in use will become harder and harder as every man and his dog own one (or two or three.....) each. This will turn human beings into snarling barbarians who will kill and eat each other like rats in a trap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top