Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 07:27 PM

How do you stop your food from going cool?

Every year I make Christmas dinner (just for two) it always ends up being a little cooler than I'd like by the time we sit down to eat!

How do you keep it all warm? By the time the roast has been carved, the veg neatly served and the yorkies and gravy added it starts to cool! I must be doing something wrong - or paying far too much attention to presentation

Any tips?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Re: How do you stop your food from going cool?

The very main thing for me is that the dinner plates are roasting hot. That makes a difference in itself. Cold plates are horrid.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Do you serve on very hot plates ......?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
The very main thing for me is that the dinner plates are roasting hot. That makes a difference in itself. Cold plates are horrid.
Yes always heat the plates (not too hot) and keep the veg and things in serving dishes with lids, just serve the meat on the plates and the gravy boat etc on the table....then help yourselves to the hot food from the dishes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Yes always heat the plates (not too hot) and keep the veg and things in serving dishes with lids, just serve the meat on the plates and the gravy boat etc on the table....then help yourselves to the hot food from the dishes.
The hotter the better, my dins stay hot to the last
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 08:42 PM

A roast for two doesn't sound that difficult so how do you usually manage to keep your food hot when it isn't Christmas,, and what are you doing differently?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Every year I make Christmas dinner (just for two) it always ends up being a little cooler than I'd like by the time we sit down to eat!

How do you keep it all warm? By the time the roast has been carved, the veg neatly served and the yorkies and gravy added it starts to cool! I must be doing something wrong - or paying far too much attention to presentation

Any tips?
I'd say it's all about timing, for instance, I cooked my roast and around 35 minutes before it was done I added goose fat roasties to the oven as they take 45 minutes which gives the meat time to rest before carving. I put the veggies on 20 minutes after the roasties

I then carved the meat,made gravy using some of the veggie water and added worcester sauce and just before the gravy was done I dished up the veggies and dinner was served!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Did dinner for a few more than two we kept putting the plates back in the oven as we loaded them up, and the microwave came into use too !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 09:37 PM

Azz I think your dinner will probably be delicious and you're too hard in yourself. Christmas dinner with all the trimmings are delicious, but they're a dinner like any other. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Hot plates and the vegetables put in hot serving dishes helps

I have the opposite problem when I do a family lunch, the food is too hot for the children to eat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top