Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

01-12-2014, 02:09 AM

clear out yard sales

I just finished reading the posts about a good clear-out. Most folks mentioned bringing their stuff to charity shops or giving it away to people they knew. I don't recall any mention of yard sales. A lot of folks in America have yard sales, mostly on weekends, to get rid of their unwanted stuff. They make a few dollars selling their used goods, usually for about a 1/3 of retail or less.

I'm a big fan of yardsales myself, for the prices are usually even cheaper than a second-hand shop.

Edit: Oops, I did it again, put this post in the wrong section. Bear with me folks, I'll get the hang of this some day.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Re: clear out yard sales

I ve seen the yardsales on movies, not something that happens much over here yet, in the past stuff would go to Jumble sales, these days Charity shops or Ebay.

I would of course want to have a mooch around someones yard sale curiosity would overcome me. I collect records, so junk shops used to be a treasure trove for finding bargains. These days its organized Record Fairs, and the prices have risen accordingly.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 10:15 AM

I've seen a couple of yard sales here in past few years, usually goods are in their garage and I don't see many people stop and look. It really isn't something we seem to go in for over here. Ebay was popular for a while but fees etc it's now not worth trying to sell oddments.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 11:09 AM

We get a lot of 'garage sales' around here I have seen them advertised in the post office some in aid of charity .

I think they are a good idea and I understand they can raise a lot of money.

Does anyone remember the 'Great Blue Peter Garage sale' which took place when my son lived at home. It raised thousands for charity.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Hi Donna. What has just taking off here in UK is. Safari Sales,you set up your sales in front garden or garage.
All are in close proximity ,a Map is purchased and addresses that are taking part are on it .
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Garage sales are quite popular here on the Island. Have picked up the odd bargain. Best ones are when owners are going overseas, then they are a bit desperate.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Hi Donna. What has just taking off here in UK is. Safari Sales,you set up your sales in front garden or garage.
All are in close proximity ,a Map is purchased and addresses that are taking part are on it .
I've never heard of them, Eliza, must not have reached us yet! I love picking over other peoples junk so I'd have a go at the Safari Sales..
I have seen a couple of yard sales but there wasn't another soul around so we didn't stop and look - might feel a bit strange on your own, I think.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
My cousin lives in Florida, and while we were staying there went to a number of yard sales, there a village or community would have a specific weekend for their yard sales.

I thought it a good idea and would like something like that round here. Have done car boot sales but the hassle of loading up the car, unloading and back again for what isn't sold, plus the early starts puts me off. E-bay is not so great with packaging and postage costs on many items, and don't want necessarily to give all to charity.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 02:10 PM

When my neighbour and I did a few car boot sales recently I asked if she would like to do a 'yard sale' in our parking bays in front of my flat. She categorically didn't want to do it. Why? No idea. Probably too embarrassed to do it so close to home, I don't know.

I have only ever seen the odd one in my home town. We DO get a lot of pedestrian traffic here but normally the types of people who would rather pay pence for something! So she may have a point.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Yard sales/garage sales are a good idea but I´m quite sure they would be frowned on here, it´s a very quiet area so not many people would be walking by and if people driving by stopped I imagine there would then be some parking problems. There are more than a few car boot sales around though in designated areas.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top