Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 07:19 PM

Days Out

I decided to take a day off tomorrow and my wife and I had planned to go for a day-out to Waddesdon Manor and the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre, which is quite close by but, unfortunately it looks like it's going to be a bit of a grim day tomorrow - so we're going to try out my Bus Pass for the first time tomorrow!

We'll go to Waddesdon etcetera on Friday now as I'm off until Monday now!

It's supposed to be a lovely house but we're going to see the grounds and gardens then on to the railway museum later.

Trying out the bus will be interesting.

I haven't been on a bus for years but my wife does quite a lot now.

It'll make a nice change. stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Re: Days Out

Enjoy your break Steve.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 08:05 PM

you deserve a break Steve enjoy
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2014, 09:05 PM

Enjoy .... going by bus is great ... just don't be impatient .... sit back and relax
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 12:38 AM

I love travelling by bus and train, it gives me a break from driving and I get to see the sights I usually miss at 50mph with my foot down!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 07:37 AM

I agree Honey, that's why I use buses, NE, or our local coach company for day trips.

I've driven past Waddesdon Manor several times, when going to the Cotswolds, and I'm pretty sure there's a layby for toilets and coffee break, that I've used. Never had the time to explore it though.

Enjoy your day out.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 12:25 PM

You are talking about one of my favourite subjects Steve. Bus passes
Used mine for nearly 8 years and its great. Don't drive or have a car.
Wouldn't know what to do without it now. You will soon get used to
bus travel.
My only moan about being on the buses are people who sneeze without
getting a tissue out so I generally have a scarf on which I put over my
nose and mouth. Probably why I don't get ill with colds and flu.
Also people who think they should take part of your seat up as well as
the whole of theirs. Mind you that happens on planes, trains and
automobiles too.
Enjoy
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Back home an hour ago after what turned out to be quite a nice day.
A bus pass is definitely worth having so I'm glad I went for it now.

A councillor actually told me to go for it as there's talk at the Council lately of freezing it but those already registered and in receipt of a pass will still get it.

It's quite a nice experience not having to drive and pay attention to the road.

Some people were quite amused as I told my wife I'd never noticed this or that so I ended up explaining it to half the bus!

It's quite interesting to see how many people actually know the drivers quite well too; on one stretch my wife said she heard someone shout out to the driver "Easy Leroy, I wanna keep my breakfast thank you!"

Mind you, he was going a bit quick and the road has a number of pot-holes!!

I didn't see any bad manners or anything as everyone seemed to be very considerate and respectful to each other on both trips, there and back, as we went home via a different route.

We had all sorts too, including a lady with a burqa and her little girl; lovely smiley child too.

Most passengers are obviously not well-off and many are black or Asian-looking but they help each other on and off and I thought a black guy helping a confused, old Polish man sort out his pass was quite touching.

The Pole said something about "schwarzers" but it seemed a joke and he thanked his helper - so nice to see that kind of integration and I didn't expect to see that it is quite genuine! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

10-10-2014, 05:00 PM

We went to Waddesdon Manor today - just to see the gardens.

Perfect day for it too and we were not disappointed as it is beautiful, even though the carpet bedding's all gone!

The staff there are particularly welcoming and helpful and the food & drink wasn't exorbitant like it can sometimes be.

We walked what felt like miles through groves and woodland, finding new surprises around almost every corner - it's a wonderful place if you like gardens and landscaped spaces - this is 2700 acres after all!

The aviary is great and the birds in there are stunning!

We're going to go again in Spring to see the parterre and carpet bedding but also - hopefully - the Rhododendrons in flower so timing is going to be tricky as we have Rhodies in our garden so we will have to go by them.

The visit to the Railway Museum had to go by the board as we couldn't drag ourselves away from Waddesdon! stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 04:00 PM

I know so many people who have made great use of their bus passes and given up driving. I'm looking forward to getting mines . Only four years to go and hope they don't stop them by then . Glad you're having nice days out Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top