Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 07:13 PM

It's not just me.......

Our eldest son is currently out of work and he's trying everything he can to get another job.

He was getting some temporary work van driving but the complications with that made him decide that it wasn't worth it as he was risking his life and his driving licence in dodgy, unsafe vehicles he was being asked to drive.

It seemed he was being used anyway but that's another story.

The problem for him now is that in February next year his Jobseeker's Allowance ends - you get 26 weeks and that's it but his partner's working and so is the eldest daughter with the 2nd eldest doing part-time work out of school hours so he's worried now.

He's been told that if he applies, it's highly likely he will be told that the Means Testing will exclude him from Income-Based JSA because of the household income will exceed the minimum.

The problem is the fact that his partner is working extra hours as he's out of work and she would not normally be working a 48 hours week.

I thought he'd get some kind of work by now but he says the same as I've discovered in this area - there are very few "ordinary" jobs that he can apply for and there are still hundreds going after every job so your chances are a bit like the lottery.

He also said exactly what I said recently that, according to the government, the UK is doing so well now and, apparently, the jobless total is going down but he says that if he is still unemployed in February they will have to tell the DWP what their total income is at that time, even if that's still being significantly boosted by temporary overtime, which, as everyone knows, is never guaranteed.

However, if they only quote her normal, basic pay they run the risk of being penalised by the DWP for a making a fraudulent claim.

Because claimants have to make claims online, you simply do not get to see someone and ask what's best to do any more and trying to get advice through the CAB is taking weeks in this area.

Apparently, if their situation remains the same, they've already been advised to state all the family's income as it is Means Tested and if anything then changes after that claim goes through they will then have to inform the DWP.

The problem is that waiting for a response from the DWP these days can take 4 to 6 weeks or more and they will be in dire straits within 2 weeks.

I do realise that many people in the UK at the moment do support the government's crackdown on Benefits but I really do wonder just how many of them realise the position many people are being put in and the strain on people's lives and health?

They could very quickly find they will have to choose between paying their rent or buying food which, to me is a scandal in the world's 8th richest country!

My wife and I are worried for the whole family but our income isn't great as it is and we've already helped out far more than we could really afford recently.

As the present government is comprised of a coalition between two of the main political parties I hope that each of those parties realises what kind of backlash they face in almost exactly 7 months! stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Re: It's not just me.......

So you'll just vote for the party that offers to dish out the most benefits? Wow, good thinking....
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Surely, stevmk, he could earn enough, with a few hours work, to cover the loss of his JSA. There maybe a few jobs around with just 10 - 20 hrs a week, has he considered this?
I know it's not easy....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Surely, stevmk, he could earn enough, with a few hours work, to cover the loss of his JSA. There maybe a few jobs around with just 10 - 20 hrs a week, has he considered this? I know it's not easy....
cranberry, I know you mean well but trying to get such a job is almost impossible with the shear numbers also desperately looking too.
If he could get that kind of work he'd be fine but it's just not there.
plantman, your comment was rude, insensitive and uncalled for. stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Having been a CAB advisor the only advice I would give is always be honest when you contact the benefits office, not doing so may only lead to even more problems.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Steve, would your son be interested in a job as a bus driver? Most towns are always advertising for more drivers.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
plantman, your comment was rude, insensitive and uncalled for. stevmk2
My apologies if I read it wrongly Steve, but to me that's what your final sentence implied, perhaps you could explain...?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Sorry to hear about your sons dilemma. They do take along time to sort these things out and it was on a programme last night. They have no excuse to take so long to sort peoples benefits out. Leaving people
with money problems whilst they sort things out.
People who have never been on benefits might find it hard to understand
how hard it is to cope. I remember having my two kids and me on
benefits at one point in our lives. At the end of the week I was left with £1 for three of us to last from Friday until Monday when I got my benefit. I couldn't rely on savings to help me because there were none. If you get nowt to live on you have nowt for savings.
I think Steve has made it very clear that his Son doesn't want to be
on benefits he wants a job. It was also in the programme I saw last
night that there are not a lot of the jobs people need. These no contract
jobs are terrible. At the whim of an employer your working one day and
not the next. With part time earnings you cannot live on 10 hours work
nowadays. The cost of living is a lot more than I had to pay out in
the 1980's. I am great with money and didn't squandered it.
The only way I got out of the poverty was to go to college. At the age
of 42 I got 3 GCSE's and one A level. This helped my CV look better
than leaving school at 15 with just a 25yard Swimming Certificate.
I went for something I am good at which is talking. I managed to
get a job in telemarketing and that made me. I bought my first house after a year of doing this job.
Hope your Son gets something sorted soon Steve. He may have to look for something he hasn't done before and try and train.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Having been a CAB advisor the only advice I would give is always be honest when you contact the benefits office, not doing so may only lead to even more problems.
I do think this is a bit of a joke as it totally astounds me how some people can work the system. They get away with murder, when the likes of us tell the truth and get absolutely nothing. It's a joke.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 11:41 AM

Steve I feel for you and your family. I hope you son gets a job that he so obviously deserves. It's a very unfair and unjust system. Hope you all get some good news soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top