Join for free
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Random acts of kindness

My partner bought a Groupon deal. Buy 3 mugs and get a pic put on them, when the mug gets boiling water put in, then the pic appears as clear as day. Before that it's a black mug.

Why don't I give your mum one of the mugs, he said. What about putting a pic of her beloved wee cat on it who passed away, he said. That sounds good said I.

I took it to my mum today. Said to her "pour some boiling water in it if you don't want tea". She looked puzzled. She did as I asked, then the pic appeared. She said "that looks so like Tara". I said it is Tara mum. Well, she disolved into tears. How kind was that of your partner to do that for me. But he always does random acts of kindness.

Isn't it nice to give, but not receive, most of the time? It is for us.

Ever received a random act of kindness in this sometimes selfish world?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:09 PM

Re: Random acts of kindness

We need more people like your partner in this world
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:14 PM

Azz he's a wonderful man. He prefers to give gifts, than to receive. He's just so thoughtful and kind. The feeling he gave my mum was so nice.

He says I'm the same to him. Isn't it nice to just make people happy? Not to think of yourself all the time, but to think of others? I know it might sound corny to some, but it works.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Your partner sounds like a lovely guy Alice. Very often it's the small acts of kindness that are appreciated more than grand gestures.

And I so agree, it's nicer to give than to receive
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

13-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Yes, it definitely is nicer to give than to receive. Okay, there's nothing like receiving a nice present from someone, but there's nothing better than seeing someone's face light up when you give them a gift. Doesn't matter what. Just something nice that they appreciate. Or it could be even a gesture or words.

I remember a few years ago. I was going through a tough time and was very stressed. My self esteem was at an all time low. I job shared with an extrovert who thought she was the bees knees and I felt in her shadow. Anyway, one particularly difficult day, the place was going like a fair and I felt so low. Suddenly, one of the patient's relatives said "excuse me. What is you who I spoke to on the phone this morning?" I said yes it was. She then said "you've no idea how lovely you are on the phone. You've no idea what a difference it makes to people who are worried about their relatives, so thank you so much". She had no idea how her words made me feel so good. It really bucked me up. Just random words of kindness.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2014, 11:54 PM

It's quite humbling how a few kind words can make someone's day. The best thing is - the cost nothing.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Yep, it's the little things that count.

A couple of months, a younger workmate of my hubby's stopped by to borrow some tool. He had his wife and 8 year old daughter with him.
At the time, I was weeding in the garden area, and they came over to see me.
The young girl noticed a couple of frog ornaments I had, and asked about them. I told her I used to have a large collection of them, but in the move here, they went missing.
The following weekend, the family came back, and that sweet little girl brought me a new frog for my garden. Her mum told me she'd used her own money to buy it.
It wasn't fancy or expensive, but to me, it was the best I'd ever had.
I still tear up thinking about it.
Probably just what your mum thought Alice.
It's the little things....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

14-09-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Yep, it's the little things that count.

A couple of months, a younger workmate of my hubby's stopped by to borrow some tool. He had his wife and 8 year old daughter with him.
At the time, I was weeding in the garden area, and they came over to see me.
The young girl noticed a couple of frog ornaments I had, and asked about them. I told her I used to have a large collection of them, but in the move here, they went missing.
The following weekend, the family came back, and that sweet little girl brought me a new frog for my garden. Her mum told me she'd used her own money to buy it.
It wasn't fancy or expensive, but to me, it was the best I'd ever had.
I still tear up thinking about it.
Probably just what your mum thought Alice.
It's the little things....
Aww yes, some people are so kind.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top