Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 04:22 PM

Doesn't The Highway Code Apply To Cyclists?

When I go for my paper in the morning I have to pass through 3 sets of traffic lights which were all on red this morning. At the first light a cyclist passed me and went straight through the red light. At the second light I nearly caught him up but slowed down to see what he would do..........he went straight through the red light again. Similarly at the third light. I suppose if ever he was cut up by a car he would be cursing inconsiderate drivers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Re: Doesn't The Highway Code Apply To Cyclists?

No it doesn't apply to them at all, even basic safety of putting lights on when it's dark is too much to ask of them.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Remember , Darwin's 3rd law of Natural Selection was conceived after watching cyclists and their antics.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 05:38 PM

The highway code doesn't apply to motorists either..3 pm on the Manchester bypass is like ''Wacky races..
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
No it doesn't apply to them at all, even basic safety of putting lights on when it's dark is too much to ask of them.

But 'technically' it does surely

I must admit I haven't read the highway code for a long time but I always thought cyclists were just as much obliged to follow it's rulings as motorists.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Cyclists are pedestrians on a two wheeled projectile, I am a driver and a cyclist who does not jump Red Lights, but still it does not take a cyclist much activity to annoy some drivers. If sat at a red light, a driver observed a couple of pedestrians crossing a junction before the Green Man indicated it was safe to do so, they would not blink an eye, if a cyclist pulled up along the side of the waiting car, dismounted, walked to the same crossing point, and crossed in the same manner as the pedestrians, then remounted on the far side, the cyclist would be considered, scum of the earth. Imo.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 07:45 PM

The reason the Highway Code doesn't apply to cyclists is because they don't carry a driving license. If they had to, there would be police presence at every traffic light, cycle cameras and every piece of technology available to make sure they stay within the law and the police can apply it to their conviction rate.

As cyclists don't need a license, the police can't be bothered because it's too much trouble to convict and doesn't mean much in their stats. So that leaves the motorist to be treated as "public enemy number one", who has a license which can be easily endorsed using all the technology which is available, thus when there is a cyclist accident, the motorist is always to blame regardless.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
When I go for my paper in the morning I have to pass through 3 sets of traffic lights which were all on red this morning. At the first light a cyclist passed me and went straight through the red light. At the second light I nearly caught him up but slowed down to see what he would do..........he went straight through the red light again. Similarly at the third light. I suppose if ever he was cut up by a car he would be cursing inconsiderate drivers.
Sorry but do you always stop on Amber or do you put your foot down to get through before they turn red? Amber means stop (unless unsafe to do so)

How many cyclists get booked for speeding? Don't the speed limits apply to motorists? It doesn't appear to judging by the number that get fined.

Absurd 'holier than thou' argument because of one road user.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Oh but it does apply to them but only when there is a Z in the month.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sorry but do you always stop on Amber or do you put your foot down to get through before they turn red? Amber means stop (unless unsafe to do so)

How many cyclists get booked for speeding? Don't the speed limits apply to motorists? It doesn't appear to judging by the number that get fined.

Absurd 'holier than thou' argument because of one road user.
Before slapping on the anchor take a second to assess if that 45 ton lorry tailgating you can stop if you do ! and having taken that second you will be through the lights anyway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top