Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Staying cool, northern BC style!

It's been pretty hot the last few days for us - hit 38 C yesterday, and just shy of 40 today.
We have very long winters here - around 7 months - so when the good weather comes, we like to get out and enjoy it, like everybody else!
I personally cannot handle hot temps, but hate being confined indoors when there's no snow/ice outside!
So my wonderful hubby put a sprinkler up on the roof of the house that sprayed that wet stuff that we usually cuss about on to our deck, and kept the temperature down enough that I could enjoy sitting out there today!
P.S. We were under an umbrella!

The sprinkler sprinkling! It gives off way more water than it looks in this pic.

The wet deck, and the brolly. You can see the hose on the right going up to the roof.

My honey with two of our puppers

The dogs had been lying down in the wet, in the shade, which they loved, but mean mama here made them get up for pictures. Our other pooch, Rollie, won't have anything to do with water. He was in hiding!
And yes, there was booze involved! For the humans!

We wondered where the kitty was, as he always stays with 'his' dogs. But won't stay in the water. He was just beyond the deck.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Re: Staying cool, northern BC style!

Loooks lovely where you live ! reminds me of the holidays I have had on vancouver Island .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Lovely! Reminds me a bit of my late mother's house in Maine.

Mind you, if your water was metered...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:58 AM

What a lovely place to live Jackie not sure I could stand the heat though 25c is enough for me.

They were talking about cool mats for dogs on our sister forum.

Pricey but they seem effective...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Cool-Gel...=dog+cool+mats
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Lovely pics.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 10:54 AM

It looks really lovely but do be careful you donīt slip on that wet decking. Here too temperatures are very high, poolside is a real suntrap and the thermometer goes off the scale down there. We have an awnings and umbrellas around the garden too so there is always somewhere shady to sit.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Great photos and a good idea. We are going to be "boiling"
by Wednesday. Expecting 27 to 30 degrees. That's good for
us.
Our Winter in the UK is about 7 months but we don't get all the snow
you get in Canada.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Loooks lovely where you live ! reminds me of the holidays I have had on vancouver Island .
Thank you! Used to live on the Island just north of Victoria. It's got big and busy since we left. Still beautiful though.

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Lovely! Reminds me a bit of my late mother's house in Maine.

Mind you, if your water was metered...
Luckily, we're on well water!

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What a lovely place to live Jackie not sure I could stand the heat though 25c is enough for me.

They were talking about cool mats for dogs on our sister forum.

Pricey but they seem effective...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Cool-Gel...=dog+cool+mats
25 is a good temperature, and more than hot enough for me also.
Thanks for the link to those gel mats. Will look into it.
The pups do have one of those hard plastic kiddie pools, and they do get in it, but use it mostly as a large water dish! Dingbats!

I also use it to stick my feet in to cool off. I've even plopped an old lawn chair in it, and sat there for a bit! Anything to stay cool!

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Lovely pics.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It looks really lovely but do be careful you donīt slip on that wet decking. Here too temperatures are very high, poolside is a real suntrap and the thermometer goes off the scale down there. We have an awnings and umbrellas around the garden too so there is always somewhere shady to sit.
Don't worry, no slipping happened! I had bare feet, as usual!
Stay cool!
The sprinkler on the roof also helps keep the house temperature down.

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Great photos and a good idea. We are going to be "boiling"
by Wednesday. Expecting 27 to 30 degrees. That's good for
us.
Our Winter in the UK is about 7 months but we don't get all the snow
you get in Canada.
Hope it doesn't get too hot for you.
Our temps are meant to stay high till the end of the week. I'm hoping they're wrong!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Lovely photos of your two black beauties, makes me sad looking at them because we had two just like them (One died just over a year ago) we only have Rianna now and she's not too keen on water and hates the rain so putting a sprinkler up here is a non starter
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

14-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Losos. They never leave your hearts do they.
Mine are all getting up there in age now.
The oldest Newfie is 9, and we all know that's old for their breed. He's doing pretty good though. Just a bit stiff getting up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top