Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 07:59 PM

Neighbours

Yet again, there's probably other threads about this, but thought I would start my own.

I moved into my flat over a year ago. My neighbours on each side of me are elderly people. I couldn't ask for nicer, more polite neighbours. No more "keep up with the Jones" that I had in my detached, cul de sac house. Took some of them all their time to look the road you were on. Not all of them, but some.

I've never been one for going into neighbour's houses. Happy to just pass the time of day. Happy to know that they know I'd be there for them in time of need and happy that they are there for me to even accept parcels when I'm at work.

My wee neighbour Irene, a widow, just knocked on my door with another wee parcel that had been delivered whilst I was at work. She's a wee breath of fresh air. John, on the other side of me, loves me to tell him about my weekly Rambler walks. He was a walker himself, but no longer could manage it.

I had to move from my house, lived in a homeless unit for 3 months with a drinking den above my bedroom, now in a wee council flat and i absolutely love it. I've never settled anywhere so quickly and had such nice neighbours. No one out to be spiteful or unfriendly.

I realise neighbours can be a nightmare and can make your home an uncomfortable place to be.

Hope lots of you have nice neighbours. It makes all the difference
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:05 PM

Re: Neighbours

That's lovely. I bet Jazzi wishes she could move there!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:10 PM

I love it here. The simplest place i've lived in, but the best.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Alice darlin' - I had the 'neighbour from hell' living above me some years ago - she was a manic depressive paranoid schizophrenic. Three times in the space of two weeks she managed to disconnect the hose from her washing machine which then ran down the wall in my bedroom. I managed to get her out - I issued proceedings against her in the County Court and her family came and rehoused her in a 'granny flat' far away from me. Ahhhh peace!!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

10-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Alice darlin' - I had the 'neighbour from hell' living above me some years ago - she was a manic depressive paranoid schizophrenic. Three times in the space of two weeks she managed to disconnect the hose from herb washing machine which then ran down the wall in my bedroom. I managed to get her out - I issued proceedings against her in the County Court and her family came and rehoused her in a 'granny flat' far away from me. Ahhhh peace!!!
Uncle joe that must have been a nightmare. I listen to acquaintances talking about neighbours. Just one neighbour can make your life a misery.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:19 PM

We have lovely neighbours most of them retired but they're so helpful, we've had fruit and veg given us also plants and seeds. Even though my neighbour nearest us is 70 he always helps if we're stuck with something - don't have a very well stocked toolbox so that's pretty often!!

I feel for anyone with troublesome neighbours.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 08:19 PM

I've had my moments Alice darlin' - a neighbour across the road from me had the habit of practising his music on a full sized drum kit at 03.00 in the morning. He learned a very rude lesson from me (and the Environmental Health Officer I called) who threatened to confiscate his equipment.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 10:43 PM

I feel for you Alice76, and I completely understand how much you love your hard-won peace and quiet. My experience was rather like the one Uncle Joe mentioned, above. I too had a paranoid schizophrenic neighbour who lived below me and while I felt sorry for him, he was hell to live with. DIY at 3am, car repairs at his front door all night, noise and disruption from his alcoholic friends visiting, the lot. He moved out after about 5 years, then a young couple moved in and were a big improvement.

When they had a child and needed a bigger home I dreaded who I'd get as the new tenant below me, but I now have a truly fabulous neighbour! He never plays his TV or plays any music, and it gets to the point where I never know when he's in or not because he's as quiet as a mouse! I hope he lives here for many, many years.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

10-07-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I feel for you Alice76, and I completely understand how much you love your hard-won peace and quiet. My experience was rather like the one Uncle Joe mentioned, above. I too had a paranoid schizophrenic neighbour who lived below me and while I felt sorry for him, he was hell to live with. DIY at 3am, car repairs at his front door all night, noise and disruption from his alcoholic friends visiting, the lot. He moved out after about 5 years, then a young couple moved in and were a big improvement.

When they had a child and needed a bigger home I dreaded who I'd get as the new tenant below me, but I now have a truly fabulous neighbour! He never plays his TV or plays any music, and it gets to the point where I never know when he's in or not because he's as quiet as a mouse! I hope he lives here for many, many years.
Tachyon I hope you have the same neighbours for years to come. It makes such a difference. You don't need to have much to do with them, just knowing they are there and are no nuisance is enough.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
That's lovely. I bet Jazzi wishes she could move there!
Took the words right outa my bl***y mouth!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top