Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 04:38 PM

Romanians

Across the street from us there's a new development that's been going on for about 4 years now and, as we've been in-and-out but around my wife's noticed the workers today, perhaps more than she would normally.

This development started out under one contractor with British workers and now it's down to the third contractors with the Polish workers long-gone and Romanians taking their place.

I've no doubt that, like the Poles, these Romanians are earning less per hour than their predecessors but they seem a cheerful, hard-working bunch who start work @ 08:00, stop for half-an-hour at 12:30 and are still out there working now @ 16:35 - without any other breaks we've seen so far.

I've seen media propaganda regarding Romanians and it irks me that they are all being tarred with the same brush again - like their counter-parts, the British unemployed but I'm bloody annoyed that these hard-working lads are over here, working like Trojans for a lesser rate than they should be on so that some greedy bastard earns more profit!!

There - said it - don't bloody-care!!! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Re: Romanians

I agree regarding tarring with the same brush Steve.
The worrying thing for me is that they are paid a low rate which ousts the chances of our workers being employed there !
They have families and mortgages too and this is where resentment comes in.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree regarding tarring with the same brush Steve.
The worrying thing for us is that they are paid a low rate which ousts the chances of our workers being employed there ! They have families and mortgages too and this is where resentment comes in.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean Patsy.

When this development started, we were told that it would be completed by March 2013 - didn't happen!

The original contractor went bust and the whole project got sent back to the Council Planning Department - with no reference at all to the consultation with US - the local residents, who have had to put up with this crap for so long.

Also the "social" element has gone out the window to be replaced by, (surprise-surprise!) AFFORDABLE housing, meaning that the social element has gone for good.

We are wondering now where the promises of No Buy-To-Let Sales stands as that's the most lucrative market locally and we have 4 houses bought in our street with ALL of them now Buy-to-Let, at extortionate rents too!
stevmk2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Ive. Been told by a family member who was down London ,that the Romanian men are waiting in groups in Supermarket Car Parks to be picked up for work , they wAit there most of the day in the hope that they will get picked , judging by their dress its Building work ,its cheap labour for the contractor,and the Romanians cannot claim benefits till they have been in this country for 6 weeks ,so they are pleased with what ever money they can earn ..Ive seen the women folk standing out in all weather over last winter selling The Big Issue.
I think only the bad news makes the News Papers and Television programmes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Yes, I know exactly what you mean Patsy.

When this development started, we were told that it would be completed by March 2013 - didn't happen!

The original contractor went bust and the whole project got sent back to the Council Planning Department - with no reference at all to the consultation with US - the local residents, who have had to put up with this crap for so long.

Also the "social" element has gone out the window to be replaced by, (surprise-surprise!) AFFORDABLE housing, meaning that the social element has gone for good.

We are wondering now where the promises of No Buy-To-Let Sales stands as that's the most lucrative market locally and we have 4 houses bought in our street with ALL of them now Buy-to-Let, at extortionate rents too!
stevmk2
Agree again - when we sold our house to come here - a woman wanted it so she could 'buy to let' - we wouldn't sell to her ......
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Ive. Been told by a family member who was down London ,that the Romanian men are waiting in groups in Supermarket Car Parks to be picked up for work , they wAit there most of the day in the hope that they will get picked ,
That was going on in the building industry when I was young it was called the lump.

Before the war and after that's how dockers were employed.

Today its called Zero hour contracts.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:35 PM

Yes Sue i know it went on years ago, but my point was they are not all here for benefits.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:43 PM

There's a very nice family of Romanians moved in next door to us, a couple in their thirties with two lovely kids. They are nearly a year there now and they are terrific neighbours, both of them work and his mother minds the children during the daytime, we're lucky to have good neighbours all around us.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:48 PM

It's even affecting the kids now, "Bob the Builder" has been given the boot coz "Alexandru the Builder" was cheaper.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:56 PM

I like that one Spitty, no doubt one of your originals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top