Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 06:12 PM

The Danes

Should they be allowed to have zoos ?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26745179
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Re: The Danes

They are not fit to have animals at all !
Cant believe 'zoos' are still in existence
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
They are not fit to have animals at all !
Cant believe 'zoos' are still in existence
I agree with you Patsy, and what a feeble excuse when they already had young lions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 07:07 PM

I don't like Zoos at all

I agree with breeding some animals in captivity if they are endangered and I appreciate they need money to do this but I feel this money could come from the WWF which raise millions each year.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 07:56 PM

I hate zoos with a passion. OK, I remember the days of very small cages, concrete slabs for elephants and polar bears pacing up and down - mostly disappeared now.

But why keep animals who are not endangered in zoos? I can agree with selective breeding programmes, but why keep elephants and the big species who need more space and are not under threat? The zoos would no doubt argue that these animals are 'captive bred' - why when there is a plentiful stock of them in the wild?

This leads to the latest cull of 'unwanted animals', to my mind, unmerited and barbaric.

End of rant.

Gwyn
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 07:56 PM

I fully support the existance of good quality, well managed zoos. They can provide entertainment and education for those who visit them as well as a valuable safe breeding environment for endangered species.

It's all very well watching David Attenborough on TV, but it is no substitute for seeing these animals, fish, birds etc in the flesh.

The actions of some Danes is no excuse to condem a nation or all zoos.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Have to disagree George, to see a large animal pent up in a cage, pacing up and down breaks my heart. Teaches a youngster nothing worthwhile. Far better to watch a series of Attenborough docus.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Haven't learned yet how to paste a bit of a former post (despite great effort!), so will have to just say that George did include a bit of my rant - 'a valuable and safe environment for endangered species'. Now, that I agree with. So, why include non-endangered species - like Patsy, I'd rather see them on a wildlife programme.

Ok, so we need to educate children as to what a lion/elephant/polar bear is - but you don't see the natural behaviour in a zoo where they're in peril of being euthanised because they're no longer wanted - and I can't believe that the Danes are the only culprits.

Gwyn
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 09:11 PM

I did say "good quality, well managed zoos". Have you been to places like Marwell, Longleat, Birdworld (Farnham) ?

I enjoy wildlife programmes and I enjoy visiting good zoos. I expect that always will.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Haven't learned yet how to paste a bit of a former post (despite great effort!),
left click and hold down, drag curser over text and it will highlight in blue, release and right click and select "COPY"(right click) from box which drops down . Go to your post dialogue box, right click select "PASTE" (left click)from the drop box. Simples !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top