Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
LynX
Cornwall
LynX is female  LynX has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 08:16 AM

My friend Robby

In June 2008 a very young robin used to hop around outside my aviary when I was feeding the birds every morning. He was unusually fearless and enjoyed any left over seeds my doves hadn't eaten.

Since then hardly a day has gone by without little Robby turning up and demanding food at least twice daily. He grew up into a handsome chap here he is just full grown in September 2008

Early 2009 we had some freezing weather and unusual for Cornwall we even had a few days of snow. Robby weathered it well as you can see here.

Mine and Robby's relationship has had a few incidents. The first autumn he saw me sitting at my desk inside the window and learnt a very hard lesson that he could not fly through glass. He was ok I rushed out and picked stunned Robby up and held him until he was awake enough to fly off probably with a headache.

One day I hadn't seen that he had hopped into my aviary behind me and he spent several hours with my doves, he didn't seem bothered and took a little persuasion to leave.

Last winter was a cold one and one day I hadn't fed Robby before taking the dogs out. All the way up the lane he kept swooping down at me and twice landed and perched on the dogs lead. I managed to crush up some gravy bones for him other wise I think he might have come on the whole walk.

This spring Robby found a girlfriend and used to bring her with him to feed. She was fairly tame but not as tame as my Rob who eats happily out of my hand. I assume they had young because soon it was just Robby turning up virtually non stop through the day asking for food, I expect he had a family to feed. He was wanting food so early one morning he few in the open bedroom window while I was getting up. Why oh why is the camera never where you want it.

I was devastated this autumn when Robby had a tick on his head. I had not realised birds got them. Tame as he is he was very stand offish while he had it so I was unable to help him. Within days it fell off (hope he ate it) and he hadn't suffered any ill effects. This was taken soon after just a few weeks ago.

Hope you enjoyed meeting my special little friend
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 08:31 AM

Re: My friend Robby

Great photos of your lovely little friend Lyn.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 10:42 AM

Beautiful photos Lyn...Thanks for that
Jamies Dachshunds
North Carolina, USA
Jamies Dachshunds is female  Jamies Dachshunds has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 01:18 PM

I really enjoyed this.... thank you!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Beautiful photos and a great story about your life with Robby
LynX
Cornwall
LynX is female  LynX has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Many thanks for your kind comments and I am glad you enjoyed my Robby's ongoing story. He is a cheeky and endearing character.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Lovely shots of Robby Lyn!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 08:07 PM

That is so sweet! And what gorgeous pics you have captured of him!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Aw Lyn I enjoyed reading about Robby - he is just so cute and I do love him Lovely photos.

Wee pats to him and all the birds

Take care.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 09:38 PM

When I awoke this morning,
When all new thing are born,
A Robin perched upon my sill,
To greet the coming morn.

The bird was fragile young and gay,
And sweetly did it sing,
It fill my heart with happiness,
And thoughts of coming spring.

It really sang so sweetly,
It filled my heart with need,
So I gently closed the window,
And crushed it's bleedin heid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top