Join for free
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Would You Like To Do This With Your Dog?

Pet therapy in a hospital When I had my first yorkie we did this and it was so rewarding. The children loved it. Lots of training and had to be clean, clean and more clean. If put the on the bed they had to know they would not go near an IV and if a bed pan dropped they would not be startled and run off etc.

I took a pic of the back page of a calendar we had and thought you might enjoy it. Of course this was not a one shot pic but they were so good. I hope you can see "Mr Turtle" the Bullmastiff on the far left, he was fast asleep but still sitting up.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Re: Would You Like To Do This With Your Dog?

We have Pets As Therapy (PAT) dogs and cats here too.
My dog would love it but the prospect of all those children to kiss would be too much for her!
A lot of the quiet animals go to old folks care homes too and seem to be able to touch places that human interaction sometimes can't
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 03:30 PM

We have PAT (Pets as Therapy) Dogs and Cats here . They provide therapeutic visits to hospitals, hospices, nursing and care homes, special needs schools etc and have proved to be a great success and brought moments of happiness to many.

http://www.petsastherapy.org/
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 03:31 PM

Oops..... same thought DM!
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 03:46 PM

You are so right, it is not for every dog. Molly knew the minute we were going and got so excited and loved every minute. Although Crystal would have put up with it, she would not have really enjoyed it.

The first picture is one of celebration for the year 2000 and the one I am about to post is the December page. This is not my yorkie, she was there long before they ever thought of a calendar. Darn it

Check out the black dog with red nose, he seems to get lost in the picture.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
buzzie
USA

02-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Just one more[IMG]
[/IMG]
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 05:02 PM

Great PATS dogs Buzzie!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2009, 10:12 PM

Lovely pics Buzzie-my friend has 2 pugs and a cavalier who are PAT dogs-one of the pugs visits a children's nursery/pre school and the other pug and cavvy go to nursing homes for the elderly-they all love it and know when they get their PAT coats on where they're off to!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Lovely pics It is great for patients and the elderly to have dogs to pat. When I am out and about with Loki, lots of elderly people stop to pat her and she loves it. No hospitals around me that has a PAT dog, or allow it either!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top