Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Hen house

Here's a picture of the hen house I have bought for my hens that will be here at the end of the month. I am getting some rescued battery hens to give them a bit of the good life after being in those horrible cages. I am sure they will reward me with eggs and lots of manure for the allotment. (It's not my garden in the picture by the way - I wish it was).

Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Re: Hen house

I am getting some rescued battery hens to give them a bit of the good life after being in those horrible cages.

I wish you and your hens well.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Looking good Paul . . . . I think you have a cunning plan mate . . . . you want their droppings for fertiliser eh.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 01:04 PM

I do - it will complete the cycle down the allotment - they get to eat the slugs etc and I get free manure. Their eggs will pay for their feed when I sell them. Just have to build them an extra large fox proof run.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
I do - it will complete the cycle down the allotment - they get to eat the slugs etc and I get free manure. Their eggs will pay for their feed when I sell them. Just have to build them an extra large fox proof run.
Get yourself a Rottie . . . . they'll maybe dig up the veg but you'll have no fox problems.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 01:36 PM

It does look like a good home for them PP but I dont see a radio. You will need to play them some classical music to get great eggs. (Pie in the Sky)
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 02:45 PM

You might think about rescued bunnies since their bunny berries aren't as full of acid that may burn your garden plants. Then don't forget the other benefit, Easter eggs from the bunnies.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 02:49 PM

That's a really nice hen house bobmeikle, they will be very lucky hens and it's very nice of you to do that for them. I always buy Free Range eggs as I feel so very sorry for battery hens. Good on ya

**** Sorry I meant PP Hammer, although good on ya both.****
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 04:47 PM

Lovely hen house, and yes, a nice garden too. You all are lucky at being able to keep hens, I would so love to have a small coop, but it is illegal in the City, unfortunately.
nero
Central Scotland

02-05-2010, 05:06 PM

I considered having hens . . . but there's enough clucking about the house at the moment.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top