Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Indeed a Smellie verdict.

A Metropolitan Police officer accused of striking a woman with a metal baton at a G20 protest has been cleared.

Sgt Delroy Smellie denied common assault on Nicola Fisher, 36, of Brighton, during the protest in Exchange Square, London, in April 2009.

The officer told City of Westminster Magistrates' Court he feared objects in her hand were weapons.

Hmm Smellie by name: Smelly by nature.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8597217.stm
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Re: Indeed a Smellie verdict.

Oh dear, I shouldn't be amused by a serious matter but ..... Delroy Smellie ...... do me a favour. Is this by any chance an April 1 joke from Lennie Henry published early in error ?

I mean Theopolis D Wildebeast springs to mind,
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 05:53 PM

No laughing matter for anyone who views the Video of the incident.
This verdict does indeed smell to high heaven.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 06:02 PM

My apologies then Victors Mate. I'll remove my frivolous response if I can.

I can't delete it, so Mods, please remove my earlier reply. Sometimes my mouth (typing fingers) goes off when my brain's not fully in gear.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 07:36 PM

A serious matter indeed but she made lots of money by selling her story to the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that doesn't excuse the over zealous Sgt Smellie

Don't worry Fayrose it's one of my faults opening my mouth and putting my fault right in it....
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 07:39 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8597217.stm

I am speechless. He obviously uses more force than is need in the video clip. And giving someone a back hander in the face is totally unacceptable.

Although I don't envy the police having to control these sorts of demonstrations, this seems to be a bit over the top.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jj'sgirl ->
A serious matter indeed but she made lots of money by selling her story to the press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that doesn't excuse the over zealous Sgt Smellie

Don't worry Fayrose it's one of my faults opening my mouth and putting my fault right in it....
Sorry I started a second thread in the current affairs forum. I don't think making some money from selling her story compensates for the heavy handed tactics he used - starting with the back handed slap in the face.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Completely agree PPH.

I just saw it and was like I don' envy them either, but that was not reasonable force and it could have made things a LOT worse. What if that was someone's sister? I doubt they just stand there and let their sister get knocked around like that!

I hope she sues.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Threads merged
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

31-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Threads merged
Thanks Azz - still not quite sure what goes where

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top