Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Re: Hen house

It's a lovely thought and I wish you and the hens well

Personally, I wouldn't eat eggs from ex/battery chickens - because they are inbred to create these somewhat unnatural 'breeds' to have certain traits, given routine antibiotics/hormones etc all their life. I would rescue them just not eat their eggs :-/
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Great looking hen house-they should be comfortable in that......
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Update - my friend wouldn't let me buy the hen house, we started building one late last year down the allotment and sort of ran out of steam. We have been working on that again today and started on the run.

I will post some pictures when it is done - but it is huge - should give the girls more room when they are rescued later this month + it has saved me £140. I will get some before and after photos of the hens as they grow their feathers back.

A bit disappointed but the hens won't mind.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 08:12 PM

A friend got battery hens once and it took a week or more to coax them out as they were terrified of the open spaces. They blossomed in the end - and laid eggs.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2010, 08:15 PM

All the plot holders have hens, most of them rescue hens and they all have done well.

Saves them from your supermarket chicken tikka masala I suppose.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:23 PM

Now PPH, you are making me feel quite guilty for not getting ex-battery hens, but I was told by so many people not to take on rescues until I knew what I was doing with chookies.

However, I will at some point in the future take on some rescues.

Good luck to you and yours. We will have to compare notes on our chookies!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 10:50 PM

And post lots of pics!
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

05-05-2010, 06:42 PM

Only joking Wanda - now I know where to come for advice about the chooks.

Talk about indecisive - I got the hen coop after all. My friend has just buggered off to Egypt before we got finished, and not being very handy, I couldn't finish the shed we were building on my own.

Here is a picture of it down my allotment. I built the fence too from pallets - not bad if you look straight at it, but it looks like a dog's hind leg if you look along its length.

I will definitely chronicle the hen's journey from captivity to flourishing health with plenty of photos Eileen.

dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 07:52 PM

I'm sure the hens won't be particularly fussy about their new home ... looks good to me!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2010, 09:15 AM

Lucky hens.

I have a redundant hen house that with a bit of care could be brought back into use. I have been toying with the idea of saving some battery hens and will be interested to see how yours settle in.

I built our first hen house complete with the nesting boxes. My dad was a carpenter and I picked up all sorts of knowledge from him.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top