Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Re: What would you do?

I agree with DM, if it were my daughter I would be saying keep your options open, you can always change your mind.

No-one can decide for you, let her decide, don't let there be regrets on her part. I would give her all the support she needs.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 09:21 PM

The two of you have been through several traumatic months lately with Jenny's illness. I assume her treatment is now complete and she has no follow up appointments in the future.

If I'm being truthful, if I was in that position I think I would rather be at home with my OH and get my life back to normal after all the past months of stress and worry. There again I am more a family person than a career minded one so my opinions are bound to differ.

I wish you and Jenny well whatever you both decide, OG
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
As others have said, only you two can decide. But... 6 months isn't that long and with cell phones and digital cameras it's easy to keep in daily touch. It would be interesting to live and work in Geneva; how are plane fares there: long weekends together? Is her health up to it after her illness? You can see which way I'm leaning, and a little extra money is a big help....

Let us know what you and Jenny decide, OG

What a sensible post, almost exactly what I would say, we do have cheap air fares in Europe now, if the money is good she could fly home every fortnight, Easyjet do fares around £50 return if you have ony hand luggage.

Geneva is a lovely city, TBH it's one of only about three cities in Europe that I would want to live & work in (And I've done both in almost every European city)

I have 'commuted' from several places in Europe on 6 month contracts, (usually every fortnight but sometimes monthly), it will be a great experience for your wife OG and you could fly out there for a long weekend half way too.

Go for it, if anything it'll improve your relationship, but of course the doctor must agree (if she has been ill recently), that's the only thing she really needs to be sure about.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 02:31 AM

I was all ready to say 'Go For It' and as dandysmom said with cell phone and computer to send pictures and a couple visits, it sounds like something she should not miss if she wants it .....and nice you want it.

The part I am worried about is her health and how serious that may become

It is a hard decision.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Summer or winter?
That would affect my decision
No-one can live anyone else's life, of course and I'd have difficulty making a decision even if it was for myself
Conflicts galore - if you don't try, you don't know; don't risk looking back and thinking 'if only' BUT no-one on their death bed has ever wished they spent more time at the office
I truly think the summer/winter thing might be the vital factor for me

Good luck and all good wishes, whichever way you jump
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 05:10 PM

We decided to say thanks but no thanks. Jenny is still nil by mouth and only today went back to work-yes work has come in from the UK.

The offer was flattering and did Jenny`s morale a power of good,but with work now appearing again(ok a much lower rate) she is much more content knowing she can earn a living for us and stay at home with me(all say aaaaaghhh )

And she still has to go for speech therapy etc---it was a thought for 24 hours but sense woke after a sleep
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Well OG, good for you, although I only say this because that's the way we would have jumped too.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
We decided to say thanks but no thanks. Jenny is still nil by mouth and only today went back to work-
Crikey you didn't mention that in your OP - I'm surprised she has gone back to work anywhere, (I assume it means she can't eat normal food), I didn't know that when I posted my reply above. I'm quite sure you've both made the right decision.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 05:43 PM

A very good decision OG.

Money is not the B all and end all of life.

To me Family life and health comes first, social life second and work a distant third.

Best of luck to you and yours.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Losos-nil by mouth means exactly that-nothing.

She feeds from bags via a PEG.

We hope that in time and when she goes back to have her osephagus stretched she may be able to swallow again.

if you didn`t know she was very unlucky. Non smoking virtually tee total and she got tounge cancer which spread into her her neck.

Tounge removed and replaced with a bit from her leg-15 nights in hospital and when she had recovered a bit six weeks of radio therapy and a few doses of chemo

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top