Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

19-11-2013, 09:06 AM

Christmas is coming ....

and the goose is getting fat.

But how many actually eat goose at Christmas? I remember when I was young (only a few years ago of course!), my father was given a goose for Christmas and my mother had to pluck it and then stuff it and cook it. All I can remember is that it was very greasy.

Where I live in Norway there is no one Christmas menu as the menu changes from district to district and can be anything from cooked cod to "rotten" trout to reindeer to turkey (a tradition which has been imported from the UK)

What do the people on this forum have which is NOT the traditional turkey? Are there any local food traditions?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: Christmas is coming ....

Haven't ever done goose and last turkey I did was about 20 years ago. If we do traditional Christmas we have a chicken or two if we have a lot here, or we have been known when it was just two of us to have egg on toast on trays as we watched the TV. Whatever we fancy really when the time comes.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:14 AM

I've only ever cooked turkey once and I wouldn't do it again - I just don't like the taste of it. I used to cook pork, beef and chicken with the usual accompaniments.

As I'm sick of cooking on Christmas Day, this year I'm tempted to eat out on Christmas Day instead as a present to myself
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Here in France it will be stew of sanglier cooked in red wine with potatoe puree and some veg. This is served christmas eve in the evening and you invite lots of friends and family ... Then christmas day its cold cuts and cheese and snacks no work for mother on christmas day you just stay with your family in your PJ's play with your presents and relax by the fire/TV
endothermic
Oslo, Norway
endothermic is male 

19-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Here in France it will be stew of sanglier cooked in red wine with potatoe puree and some veg. This is served christmas eve in the evening and you invite lots of friends and family ... Then christmas day its cold cuts and cheese and snacks no work for mother on christmas day you just stay with your family in your PJ's play with your presents and relax by the fire/TV
I had to admit I had to look up sanglier but the meal sounds wonderful - when do you want me to arrive?
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:39 AM

As long as your here before the meal is served at 7pm you would be welcome .
As a few of us have small kitchens, we have borrowed the local walkers hostel for the evening on christmas eve. There will be about 20 of us plus any one staying there at the time. We plan on having a good village knees up. by a roaring log fire ....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:56 AM

It's funny you should mention that Robin. My wife is thinking of having goose this year for the first time ever, we usually have turkey. I'm not a big fan of turkey as I don't think it has much flavour. My choice would be a nice piece of beef.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:36 AM

I Good morning fellow members a lovely sunny morning and I am taking advantage of it and putting loads of washing out.
Not sure it will dry though because it is so cold.

I have Hannah today so am in for a morning of jigsaw puzzles.
Enjoy your day everyone
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I Good morning fellow members a lovely sunny morning and I am taking advantage of it and putting loads of washing out.

Enjoy your day everyone
Think you may have wandered into the wrong thread meg
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Enjoy your day everyone
Thank you Meg this made me laugh I was trying to figure out what this had to do with having a goose for Christmas.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top