Join for free
Page 23 of 79 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 > Last »
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 09:46 PM

Re: What do you remember???

Im with you all the way on that one Nero!
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 09:50 PM

Anyone remember the soap Caddam? and Breeze. "Caddam for madam" was the slogan.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2009, 10:19 AM

I don't remember Caddam I do remember Breeze. I remember Lifebouye Toilet soap and that awful BO advert which would be so not politically correct now. Although I remember the 'Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face' adverts my mum always used a blob of Tide to do the washing up.

My mum always had a vast supply of bath salts in her wardrobe and drawers never used in the bath but for years stayed in the packets to 'make the clothes smell nice'

Come to think of it if mum ever got any 'nice' soap or talc it always stayed in the drawers for a 'special' occassion. When she had a bath it was always a small splosh of dettol that went in turning the water a cloudy white.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2009, 12:18 AM

I remember the malt mentioned earlier in the thread. I quite liked it. I also remember an iron tonic called Parish's Food that tasted absolutely awful. We were made to take a teaspoonful of it a day and it was quickly followed by a spoonful of the malt to help keep it down!

When colour TV first came out I was a young TV engineer with Radio Rentals. A darkened room with a colour TV in it was set up above the television showroom and members of the public were asked in to watch the Cup Final. I can't remember what the teams were though.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 12:06 AM

Foods eaten shortly after the war wouldn't be available or liked now but parents had to feed their children best they could. Some foods we were given:

Whale meat. Very nice as I remember but not available now with whales being protected.

Brains on toast (sheep's I think). I liked it but couldn't eat it once I fully realised what it was.

Pork brawn made from half a pig's head. My Mum used to boil the pigs head for hours, drain the fluid off and leave it to set. I never did like brawn.

Edit: Oh yes, sausages made mostly out of bread. I seem to remember the butcher being caught out a couple of times putting too much bread in the sausages.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2010, 12:43 AM

I remember coming home from school and meeting up with a pigs head in the kitchen. I didn't like brawn either it still had bits of the pigs hair sticking in it. I remember tripe and onions, I don't remember ever being given brains (I have always been short on brains) I remember soft roe on toast but I don't see it in the shops now. My mum used to eat sweetbreads which I think were pigs pancreas.

I know one thing which is not allowed anymore. I used to go to our co-op butcher and get a tin of blood. The tins were what the liver came in mum would pour the blood on her garden and we would then wash out the tins, paint them and make them into rubbish bins. My sister used to stencil flowers on them and sell them.

I can see the butcher's shop now with the floor covered in sawdust to mop up the blood I suppose.

My dad used to complain about 'modern' sausages saying that the butcher didn't use bread anymore but some kind of biscuit which wasn't so good. To go with our sausages we used to go up onto the common at the top of the road in East London and pick mushrooms. I was told that you would always find mushrooms where horses and cows grazed together. Blimey memories
anekico
Liverpool UK
anekico is female  anekico has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 10:50 PM

Lol what age does for you! Only read some of the do you remembers and was nodding away!. Re crisps, the were only plain crisps and cost 3d. Cheese and onion were the first flavour.
Oxydol was also something I remember. No supermarkets, no fitted carpets, we got our first fridge when I was about 7 or 8 and was huge fun for me.
Our neighbour was the only one in the whole road with a car, it was a Ford Anglia and it hated winter, every morning at 6 you could hear it choking away!
Oh the things I have told my children lol, only two tv channels, and only one tv in the house!
Better stop could go on forever!
chinadoll
Wales

15-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Oh Oxydol and Rinso. My mother also used to grate Sunlight soap into the wash. I remember crisps sold at the local cinema "JJ" crisps. Going to the coalyard for extra coal where they would lend you a trolley to put the coal on and fuel blocks. I hated offal except chitterlings but I could'nt eat them now. "Sweetbreads" are the pancreas's of calves and lambs,never had those.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I remember Oxydol and Rinso too, and set tubs in the basement where my Mom did the laundry on a scrubbing board! After the War we got a washing machine with a wringer on the top ...very posh! And an old fashioned gramophone that you wound up .....it had a little metal cup where you kept the spare needles for when it was necessary to change them ...
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2010, 12:06 AM

I bet crisps are what we call 'potato chips'

Since someone brought up Woolworth, do you remember when they really sold something for a dime?

Great thread.

Page 23 of 79 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top