Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Why Ignore?

I have always wondered something and that is....why do some people online totally ignore new member's sometime's.?They look at their Profiles alright but never ever acknowledge them in any way...maybe except to have a "pop" at a post they may put up.Ive seen this time and time again on Forum's and I would be a liar to say it hasn't happened to me either.We all know that everyone can't like everyone they come across in life but online.....why?Ive seen people being very pleasant just to be ignored by some...including Mods whom I always feel as Poster's themselves should make newbies welcome and I always did when I was a Mod just like the ladies do here and for which I personally was thankful for......I just don't get it.Maybe its because the "vibes" are all wrong...and if that is the case why don't they try to get to know that person first a little as how can you dislike somebody you don't know and have never even posted with.Ive also seen insults coming from people online for no good reason....new people trying to feel their way and basically just post and then out of the blue Bang somebody has to have a pop at them.Such a shame when some just want to post and join in.Still the loss has to be with the one's that do the ignoring I guess....such a pity.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Re: Why Ignore?

I am on dozens of forums and what you describe is common to virtually all of them to some degree. Some forums are worse than others, conversely some are better than others. I have even seen this on a few Online games when people get ignored and shunned for no obvious reason.

I'm afraid there is no answer here. I have come to accept those type of behaviours as 'life on the internet' and 'that's how people are'. I would agree it's wrong and unpleasent and even rude. But what do you do?
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I am on dozens of forums and what you describe is common to virtually all of them to some degree. Some forums are worse than others, conversely some are better than others. I have even seen this on a few Online games when people get ignored and shunned for no obvious reason.

I'm afraid there is no answer here. I have come to accept those type of behaviours as 'life on the internet' and 'that's how people are'. I would agree it's wrong and unpleasent and even rude. But what do you do?
I agree Graham...what do you do?Its such a shame as many of the one's that get ignored end up leaving the Forum and then some places wonder why they don't have many Members.Some also form a Clique I guess and gawd help anybody that one of them (for what ever reason) don't like
Yes we are all different in thinking, humour, intelligence and just life in general but there's no excuse for ignorance as alot of the time IMO that's what it is Graham.Thankyou so much for your much valued input.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 08:23 PM

I have always wondered something and that is....why do some people online totally ignore new member's sometime's.
Bonny I have been 'a new member' on sites and have experienced this myself but I think 'being ignored' on forums can be a misconception by the over sensitive who see a problem where none exists.

On a busy site when one has a limited amount of time it is not always possible to reply to every post . The natural thing for most people to do is to respond to the topics which interest them most and to reply to friends, so consequently some posts will attract a poor response . I am sure there is no slight intended and a persons is only 'new' for a short time anyway.
Bonny
UK

24-01-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bonny I have been 'a new member' on sites and have experienced this myself but I think 'being ignored' on forums can be a misconception by the over sensitive who see a problem where none exists.

On a busy site when one has a limited amount of time it is not always possible to reply to every post . The natural thing for most people to do is to respond to the topics which interest them most and to reply to friends, so consequently some posts will attract a poor response . I am sure there is no slight intended and a persons is only 'new' for a short time anyway.
Meg I hear what you are saying loud and clear babe and agree in much of what you say here.But I also know what ive seen and yes at time's the reason's you give are totally correct but not all the time when people are being obviously rude.Ive lost count of new member's on different Sites trying their best to join in and to no avail.Then they are gone and so the process goes on....thankfully you and quite a few here are very friendly towards Newbies
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 09:38 PM

I myself have never even looked at the introductions I now realise I should and I would like to say sorry and hello to whoever has joined after me ...I have been on a few forums and this one is the nicest one I have found in attitude to other folks on here ...Time is the biggest factor I have in replying to posts and I hope you will all accept my apoligies if I don't reply to any replies made by any of you as no slight is meant...
Good thread Bonny as it has made me think....
Sue
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 09:51 PM

I too am guilty of not going on the welcome thread. I'll try to remember to say hello to newbies like myself but I never thought I was doing something wrong.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bonny ->
Meg I hear what you are saying loud and clear babe and agree in much of what you say here.But I also know what ive seen and yes at time's the reason's you give are totally correct but not all the time when people are being obviously rude.Ive lost count of new member's on different Sites trying their best to join in and to no avail.Then they are gone and so the process goes on....thankfully you and quite a few here are very friendly towards Newbies
Bonny you are saying then that grown adults make a concious decision to ignore people they don't know I find that a really odd thought considering people join sites with the objective of talking to others.

What is more if I joined a new site and no one responded to my posts it wouldn't deter me from posting, living alone I am used to talking to myself
Bonny
UK

24-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I myself have never even looked at the introductions I now realise I should and I would like to say sorry and hello to whoever has joined after me ...I have been on a few forums and this one is the nicest one I have found in attitude to other folks on here ...Time is the biggest factor I have in replying to posts and I hope you will all accept my apoligies if I don't reply to any replies made by any of you as no slight is meant...
Good thread Bonny as it has made me think....
Sue
Sue...trust me when I say some Newbie's look and soon know the one's that are obviously to busy to post to new people and just post to friends.They also know the one's that don't welcome "outsiders" so to speak.Also I agree that not everyone has the time to go on all the Intro Threads and tbh so many join....do an Intro Thread and then do not post another thing.After awhile some get fed up with that and think...whats the point?However there is a fine line to doing that and then to go on ignoring that person even when they start posting.Ive seen good decent people driven away from Sites because they felt such an outcast as I have said and at time's it seem's age does not always make us better people and abit more compassion never hurt anybody.It's a pleasure to have had this "chat"
-
Bonny
UK

24-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I too am guilty of not going on the welcome thread. I'll try to remember to say hello to newbies like myself but I never thought I was doing something wrong.
Your not doing anything wrong Gabi...see my above post babe and also Hello

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top