Join for free
Page 5 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Statins

What about the quality of life, what is the point of taking all this medication to end up living like a zombie, its the quality not the quantity, old people are just kept alive to be shunted into homes and in a lot of cases treated badly.
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Very true, Arthur, but what constitutes an over dose?

Opinions vary. The government RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of most supplements is far below that recommended in other countries and the amounts recommended by Nutritionists.

Unforthunately there are very few trace elements in the foods that we eat because they have been leeched out of the ground by the intensive farming methods used since the second world war. As evidence of this, if you see a tractor ploughing a field these days, there will not be the once-seen flock of birds following the plough because there are no worms and invertebrates left in the soil for them to feed on.

It is this lack of natural trace elements in the daily diet that has fueled the current epidemics of general ill health within the population. This is why the so-called 'Organic' foods are of benefit because their producers are replacing the organic matter in their fields and restoring the balance of trace elements. It is not just a matter of taste but of the manner of their production which make them better for you.

Good discussion, Arthur.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Well, I went to the doctor today and my result is 9.3 and she says theres no way it will come down by diet alone so the decision was taken out of my hands. I start the statins tonight but I will be watching closely for side effects.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Paul said : -----Very true, Arthur, but what constitutes an over dose?

My point exactly Paul, what constitutes an under dose, there is no way we can measure it unless we have regular blood tests.

It is a good discussion Paul.

Unless you have had ill health for 40+ years like myself, you don't really appreciate the value of the meds. that I take.
We all have to die sometime for sure, but no one wants to go, unless their quality of life is zilch.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bridie ->
Well, I went to the doctor today and my result is 9.3 and she says theres no way it will come down by diet alone so the decision was taken out of my hands. I start the statins tonight but I will be watching closely for side effects.
Bridie darlin' if you've been given Simvastatin - this does take quite a time for the side effects to become noticible. For me I was on them for more than 1 year before the effects became apparent. For me the side effects were pains and cramps in my thighs and lower legs.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bridie ->
You will most likely be just fine on them Bridie, a lot of people are. I have taken Simvastatin 40mg for almost three years and no bad side effects at all and I weigh 6 stone. My levels then were only 4. something and I take it as a preventative as my arteries were furred up from smoking. I stopped smoking at the same time and now my cholesterol is only 3. something. I should ask the dr if I can stop but haven't been for ages, will make a note to remind me next time I go.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 07:03 PM

GP's have so many choices, if one type don't suit you another might, which is good for us.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Yes, its simvastin, 40mg, Im on, my sister was given the same a month ago and says shes Ok on them so I dont mind too much as long as it comes down.
TedHutchinson
Louth UK
TedHutchinson is male  TedHutchinson has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 03:47 PM

I think maybe it would be a good idea if some people downloaded the paper at this link and took the research to their doctor and asked for the statin prescription to be revised in the light of these findings.

Is the use of cholesterol in mortality risk algorithms in clinical guidelines valid?

These graphs show that if you are a woman with a cholesterol level around 5 then RAISING your cholesterol to 7 reduces your risk of all cause death and also reduces your risk of CVD.
If your a man than a cholesterol level around the 6 mark is probably better.
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Very interesting, TedHutchinson.

I will mark this website and it's information.

Page 5 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top