Join for free
liverbird
Wirral
liverbird is female  liverbird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Sentimental Journey

My Sentimental Journey takes me back to the 1960’s when my Dad left the Army and managed a small pub in Liverpool called ‘The Empress’. We settled in quite quickly and my Dad hired a group to play in the evenings, they did their first gig in our Pub with their new drummer Richard Starkey, whose mum lived at the back of the pub and we used to do errands for her and posted signed autographed pictures of the band to local residents.
As you are aware the Beatles went bigger than anyone could have imagined. But Ringo never forgot the place he did his first gig with the Beatles.
‘Sentimental Journey’ was his first solo album and ‘The Empress’ pub is the front cover.
I wish now we had kept 1 or 2 of the signed pictures we posted around the houses, they would be worth a fortune nowadays.
I went to the pub last year for the first time since I was a young girl and took my kids with me, apart from the décor the place is still as I remember it all those years ago. I made my own ‘Sentimental Journey’….

Front Cover Of Ringo's Album
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Re: Sentimental Journey

(I`ve put this on Dogsey too...just in case you`re getting a feeling of deja vu)

A couple of years ago I found myself with an errand in Camden Town so made a small detour to see the street I grew up in.
It was a group of 5-storey blocks of council flats round a central concrete area for washing lines. It was very East-End, with a pub, fish & chip shop and a Bagwash (laundry) within reach, and everyone knew each other. All us kids would play out and no-one would dare be naughty as someone would tell your mum.
Sometimes we`d walk over the bridge to Camden Town, avoiding the stagnant, rat-infested canal, and I used to visit the rag-and-bone man who stabled his horse under the railway arches so I could pet his horse. No-one was at all worried by this.
Anyway - my visit was a real shock. It was all privatised and gentrified, with the flats in private hands with entry phones and landscaped gardens. The Canal was now a stretch of water beside a middle class grassy walk And the railway arches were Boutiques.
All very different - but I think I preferred it 60 years ago
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 04:19 PM

This is a good thread - more memories please!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Hi Karen I well remember Liverpool in the 60's, I was living just outside Ormskirk at the time and used to get the train or bus into Liverpool to shop or go to the cinema . It always seemed an exciting place to me, a rather naive little country girl ...
liverbird
Wirral
liverbird is female  liverbird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Karen I well remember Liverpool in the 60's, I was living just outside Ormskirk at the time and used to get the train or bus into Liverpool to shop or go to the cinema . It always seemed an exciting place to me, a rather naive little country girl ...
i know what you mean Meg, we moved to Liverpool from Formby it was quite a shock to the system after living in such a quiet place
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Isn't it lovely when you get a nice nostalgic feeling like that? Memories are like treasures..
liverbird
Wirral

29-12-2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Isn't it lovely when you get a nice nostalgic feeling like that? Memories are like treasures..
they are Azz

you can film them and photograph them to look back on.
but to remember them our age!! ahhhh sheer bliss

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top