Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Re: Childproof tops, agggg.

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Losos' explanation about how to transform the childproof cap into a normal one was interesting, but I can't quite see myself doing that without some damage to me! My solution is to chuck out the cap and make one out of foil wrap instead. Works for me.
Yes DM please don't try it if you think it might result in damage to yourself, one day I might post a few picicies which might explain it better.

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
Good idea Losos. I have problems with these childproof tops because I have damaged both of my thumbs and can't put much pressure on them, its so frustrating.
Unfortunately you need 'thumb pressure' on the Stanley knife when cutting down, maybe some friend could do it for you.

Originally Posted by Dolly ->
I once had to take a hammer and chisel to a jar of Nescafe. I could not open it, no matter how I tried. I have a bottle/jar opener thingy but because the top of the coffee jar is shaped I just could not get a grip on it, with anything. So in the end I battered my way in through the plastic lid.
Those jars with the curved shape tops are useless aren't they, typical example of some trendy product design person thinking they looked 'good' and never even trying to use them with with wet hands or whatever grrrrrrrrrrrr
Tillyann
New Member!
Devon, UK
Tillyann is female 

30-12-2009, 12:18 PM

What about the pet food pouches from Nature Diet? if I persisted with instructions to peel off top my doggie would starve to death and why do ring pulls always snap off when I try to open the tins? B$%%Ły frustating!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 01:54 PM

I quite agree about the tin opening. It seems odd that we have walked on the moon, can transplant most of our important organs and yet I am still given that daft little key which will always break off to open a tin of corned beef. I don't even like tinned ham didn't even know it existed but mother in law wanted it for Christmas, so I bought it along with a daft little key that broke.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 05:34 PM

I love the Plumrose tinned hams, no bone, perfect for a single person ... but ...I agree completely about that miserable key! And does anyone else have problems opening a tin of sardines?? I usually end up pulling the lid off with the pliers
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Yep, then getting nasty fiishy oil all over yourself and round of with a nice cut finger. Sardines are really good for you. Mind you this is from me who has trouble finding the opening to a plastic bag in the supermarket!!!!!!!!!!
Trixybird
West Sussex
Trixybird is female  Trixybird has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Your definately not alone Meg I dread to think how the older generation cope to be honest. I have arthritis in both wrists and feel totally frustrated at times, even using can openers!! Some have the ring pull that makes life a little easier though.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Yep, then getting nasty fiishy oil all over yourself and round of with a nice cut finger. Sardines are really good for you. Mind you this is from me who has trouble finding the opening to a plastic bag in the supermarket!!!!!!!!!!
Not to brag but I've gotten quite good at opening the sardines without a mess ... I have to save the oil for the cat! They love it and it's good for their coats.

Another gripe: wine corks that break in half when you're trying to pull them out!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

31-12-2009, 12:15 AM

I don't have the problem with the wine as I buy it in a box
I have been told that it is a good idea to give my dog a tin of sardines at least once a week as it is good for his coat. He is a samoyed/lab and adores fish I think I might try it and get some practice with the tin opening.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Just thought I would add another little tip, there are TWO types of can opener:-

a) The one which pierces the lid from the top and you then turn the handle to go round the tin - These are absolute rubbish on the rectangular sardine type tins.

b) The ones which pierce the can from the side and take the whole top off including the rim - these are much better on the rectangular sardine tins but they leave a very sharp raw 'edge' on the top of the can and need to be disposed of carefully or your pet might lick it and get a cut tongue and humans can easily get cut too.

So every kitchen really needs both types. HTH
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

31-12-2009, 10:27 PM

I only have the one that works with round cans; that's why I pry up the pull ring on the sardine tin so I can get a grip on it with the pliers and pull the lid off.And I put the oil in a small saucer (not all of it) for Leia.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top