Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 09:56 AM

Re: Sir Andy Murray?????

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I was terribly annoyed last night, a programme about Murray was aired earlier than stated, so I never got the Apprentice I had recorded, it is becoming a farce.
He is Scottish and not English, and we are giving him a knighthood, as Barry said over the top.
Arfa - I know its a bit late in the day - but 'The Final Five' is going to be repeated 'next' Monday at 12.20 am ( so Tuesday really) on BBC2.......
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 10:13 AM

I'd like to see the young American surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital get a knighthood, for saving the life of my grandson..and countless other babies too.
But then, he is only doing a job he enjoys.
Come on, let's get some common sense - stop hero worshipping sportsmen and look to the real world for our heroes.
Duckie
Australia
Duckie is male  Duckie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 10:20 AM

Bloody beautiful story re Andy Murray.
To overcome what appeared to be "choking" or mental block...power to you...long may you reign over Djokovic.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Agree with that - its joyous when your sports hero wins .... I've experienced the wishing on their behalf and am elated when he wins....
The next day - back to normal - till next time ....
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I was terribly annoyed last night, a programme about Murray was aired earlier than stated, so I never got the Apprentice I had recorded, it is becoming a farce.
He is Scottish and not English, and we are giving him a knighthood, as Barry said over the top.
And what difference does that make? He won the cup for Britain and, therefore, he is British! It is comments like that that make us up here in Scotland want to go it alone! I have always thought of myself as British first, Scottish second.

Why shouldn't he be given a knighthood - are you saying that because he is Scottish that he should not be given one? That's rather a racist comment!

What nonsense I have read on this thread. Other sports and television stars (who are English) get knighted and we (in Scotland) don't object to that! I sincerely hope Andy gets a knighthood - he is just as deserving of it that anyone else!

That's me finished now with this forum!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I'd like to see the young American surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital get a knighthood, for saving the life of my grandson..and countless other babies too.
But then, he is only doing a job he enjoys.
Come on, let's get some common sense - stop hero worshipping sportsmen and look to the real world for our heroes.
Now that would be an Honour well bestowed in my opinion.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
And what difference does that make? He won the cup for Britain and, therefore, he is British! It is comments like that that make us up here in Scotland want to go it alone! I have always thought of myself as British first, Scottish second.

Why shouldn't he be given a knighthood - are you saying that because he is Scottish that he should not be given one? That's rather a racist comment!

What nonsense I have read on this thread. Other sports and television stars (who are English) get knighted and we (in Scotland) don't object to that! I sincerely hope Andy gets a knighthood - he is just as deserving of it that anyone else!

If you'd read other threads on knighthoods that have been on here, you would have seen scathing comments about any celebrity that has been awarded them regardless of nationality. I would lay a pound to a penny that Andy Murray will think of himself as Scottish first and foremost exactly the same as the new peddle-pushing wonder kid Mark Cavendish, dubbed as British by the media, sees himself first and foremost as Manx. Cavendish was awareded some fictitious key at a ceremony and he didn't turn up for it; maybe some people aren't sucked in by the whole pomp and ceremony stuff.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 11:34 AM

I agree with you Karen. Personally I have issues with anyone being honoured just for who they are or who they know rather than what they have done, and to me winning a silly game ranks right up there with the most fatuous of reasons....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I agree with you Karen. Personally I have issues with anyone being honoured just for who they are or who they know rather than what they have done, and to me winning a silly game ranks right up there with the most fatuous of reasons....
Agreed - it is the wonderful people who work quietly in the background, performing all sorts of heroic things for no other reason than their desire to help others that should, in my opinion, be awarded these things. The World of Sport has its own awards, why aren't they enough to acknowledge someone's sporting ability?
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->

Rosemary I am far from being racist, just the opposite, what I was referring to was the fact he is Scottish, and most of the English seem to think he is English when he is clearly not.
But my guess is if you do get independence, Mr Salmond will be claiming the tens of millions he earns for Scotlands coffers.
I really don't give a damn what nationality he is, I just hate how the LTA treated Fred Perry when he turned professional.
But that is another thread entirely in the future when Scotland gets Independence or not.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top