Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Re: The joys of dog ownership

This thread reminds me of something.
Much much earlier this spring/summer there was a badger road casualty on 'our route'. He must have been knocked straight onto the bank, because there he lay, outwardly perfect, on his back like he was having a lovely sleep, for several days. He was on the opposite side to where we walk, so no great problem. I kept meaning to phone Highways, because they'll come and pick up roadkill, but never remembered.
Anyway 2/3 weeks ago (no longer - before my back hurt ) - we were plodding along as usual when there was the most awful smell; the dead smell, if you know what I mean, on our side of the road. I looked through the hedge to see if there was a dead sheep/cow but nothing. We walked on but phew, that smell stays in your nose and mouth for ages. Dinah noticed it, but didn't 'say' anything. Next day, same place, same smell and hundreds of white wrigglers on the road. Careful look - there was the same old badger, now thin like a doormat and in a severe state of decay. Dinah was very agitated and pulled to get past. For the next week or so - until there really was nothing but empty skin left - she was anxious as we approached that spot and keen to get past.

Anyone good at dog psychology? What was that about? She certainly didn't want to roll in it!
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 11:49 AM

I don't know what thats about but I have to say we experienced somthing similar with a dead fox...over by the canal part of our walk Sal took no notice for ages I mean I knew it was there but ignored it to then when it was in same about state of decomp as ytour badger Sal refused to walk that close reverting to the path rather than the bridle/bike path route we normaly take. I I stayed ont ehbridle bit she was eager to to pass..now she ignores it again.....I do wonder wht it was that made her avvoid it..maybe a deep sense of "survival" kicking in ie not to eat something so rotten.......
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Maybe that's it - it was certainly an ultra-disgusting smell, more than the usual 'ripe' which they find attractive
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Dont you just love it when they do a full body roll in it and it gets right into the collar including all holes and detail and right round the buckle
yep I hate that bit.

All of my Goldens have been 'rollers'. Any type of poo, muck, rotting vegitation etc. They would make sure it got into the longer bits of their coat, behind and in their ears and other awkward bits.

Apart from fox poo I think the worst one was a very dead seal on the beach - yuk. The drive home in winter with all the windows down was not good
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Aw that is priceless. Can just imagine you both covered in fox poo!! Hope you didn't want to put tomato sauce on any meals!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
Dont you just love it when they do a full body roll in it and it gets right into the collar including all holes and detail and right round the buckle
Oh yes the collar too Yuk ! In all the holes and round the buckle..
Originally Posted by suey ->
Is it a Schnauzer thing Lexi is a mucky pup too and finds all sorts of nice things (I don't think so!!!) to either roll in or bury her nose in YUK!!!!
Sue of all the dozens on Minis I have known Chloe is the worst for rolling , she also has the highest prey drive and thinks she is a gundog putting up and trying to catch birds including pheasants ....
Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
This thread reminds me of something.
Much much earlier this spring/summer there was a badger road casualty on 'our route'. He must have been knocked straight onto the bank, because there he lay, outwardly perfect, on his back like he was having a lovely sleep, for several days. He was on the opposite side to where we walk, so no great problem. I kept meaning to phone Highways, because they'll come and pick up roadkill, but never remembered.
Anyway 2/3 weeks ago (no longer - before my back hurt ) - we were plodding along as usual when there was the most awful smell; the dead smell, if you know what I mean, on our side of the road. I looked through the hedge to see if there was a dead sheep/cow but nothing. We walked on but phew, that smell stays in your nose and mouth for ages. Dinah noticed it, but didn't 'say' anything. Next day, same place, same smell and hundreds of white wrigglers on the road. Careful look - there was the same old badger, now thin like a doormat and in a severe state of decay. Dinah was very agitated and pulled to get past. For the next week or so - until there really was nothing but empty skin left - she was anxious as we approached that spot and keen to get past.

Anyone good at dog psychology? What was that about? She certainly didn't want to roll in it!
DM I am not sure on this one though you say Dinah doesn't roll and I wonder if she has a low prey drive so would not have the instinct to scent mask in order to hunt (though Kazz has said Sal rolls yet had an aversion to the dead fox) .
It may be that different types of decaying mammals give of different kinds of scents. I doubt very much if a dog would roll on one of its own kind and it may just be that a decaying fox or badger reminds them of decaying dog..yuk, not sure I fancy preparing supper now
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 06:15 PM

We had a dead fox on the side of a country road, I walked past it everyday, Gypsy had a sniff each time, Tara totally ignored it, but thanbkfully there was no rolling....
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Maybe the dogs are picking up our aversions....

I can stop Sal rolling on a lead (obviously) and even within close distance off lead...but when she is a fair distance away I can read her body language which is "Ohhh, she's miles away I can roll before she can stop me" (of course I cna see this going through her head.
And she rolls...I could stop her if I wanted to by shouting but I don't unless I have not got time to rinse/wash her off when I get home...she loves it and hey who am I to stop her.
But Sal is a Stafford and has a short coat and easy to rinse off I don't worry overyly
Ifshe were long coated or something I would have an aversion.
I hate the collar thing though....yukky...ughhh... I have in the past thrown Sal in the river/lake to clean off....and long grass comes in handy to poke through the holes in the collar.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 07:49 PM

Lol, the more I read this the happier I am to be a cat person!
dinahsmum
SW England

19-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Meg - I did 'write' a thanks to your explanation earlier ... but it never arrived on the page Ho hum.
Thanks for your theory - it sounds plausible; it really was stomach-churningly rank the first few days.
If I ever meet a dog psychologist, I'll ask them

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top