Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Re: Today's visitor

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I love robins too but haven't seen one in the garden for ages ....... that the problem with having a cat
Never seen any cats where I live so all the birds are safe-unless the sparrow-hawk comes along
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 08:53 PM

I see lots of robins, but haven't seen a sparrowhawk in quite a few years; one had caught a starling and was eating it in my back yard. Feathers all over the place.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I see lots of robins, but haven't seen a sparrowhawk in quite a few years; one had caught a starling and was eating it in my back yard. Feathers all over the place.
There always seems to be one hanging around. It got one of the little sparrows a few weeks ago and dropped into my garden with it. I went out to see if it would drop the sparrow and fly away but got the shock of my life-the sparrow-hawk looked straight at me and spread its wings as though it was going to attack me I went back in very quickly but found out later that it would probably have been a female sparrow-hawk which will attack if she has prey.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 09:32 PM

How interesting, merz! I didn't go outside, it was a Winter day, just watched from the window as it plucked and ate the bird. Now I'll know better if it ever happens again.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I love robins too but haven't seen one in the garden for ages ....... that the problem with having a cat
I have a resident Robin, he appears every year...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Years ago when my Dad dug his garden, the robins would perch on the spade while he was digging....... they were so tame
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I can remember my Dad having a tame Robin...It used to wait till he threw it worms.....
misty
Northamptonshire UK
misty is female  misty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 06:53 PM

We have robbins in our garden all year round. They practice their singing during the winter nights. Lately we have regular visits from a green woodpecker
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 07:32 PM

I saw a Sparrowhawk for the first time this year take a Robin off a feeding station, the neighbours have placed up the lane behind our house. I have never seen anything move so quickly I was walking along what used to be old railway lines and they are raised above the side of the road, the feeding stations were below me fixed to a fence and this Sparrowhawk swooped along the fence, plucked the Robin and flew up the embankment to just below where I was watching and then reclutched his prey and flew in front of me and across the path and into the woods on the opposite side, it was amazing to watch though such a shame for the Robin as I love them their song is so pretty, and we usually have a nesting pair in our garden and I love seeing the youngsters develope into adults... Sorry Eileen but I quite like Squirrels they are pretty and I think their calls are really funny like a baby crying...We also have Buzzards flying overhead everyday...
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
I have a resident Robin, he appears every year...
Have you ever called a robin in? Next time you see one make a rapid noise like you are tutting continuosly & a robin will stop and listen then start to hop closer to you. A very young one will practically come all the way up to you but you need to be still.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top