View Poll Results: Are you religious?
Yes 3 10.00%
No 23 76.67%
Undecided 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

Re: Are you religous ?

I am trying to get more connected to natural things like weather patterns and wondering whether I can tell in advance what it's going to do just by looking for signs. I used to love to garden barefoot - a friend of mine actually gardens au natural, but IMO that's just asking to be bitten all over!! Pagans must be extremely sad atm, but perhaps they believe that nature will after all win over humanity's rape of Earth.

I think personal spirituality is much more important than being a member of an organised religion.
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 11:06 PM

Angieh ~I totally agree about personal spirituality. That's one reason why Paganism suits me. It isn't a religion and there are not set rules.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2009, 04:52 PM

I used to do religion years ago, I did everything, just to name a few, Jehovaha's Witness, United Reformed, Baptist, but now I'm not religious at all. I just think that religious people are no better than non religious people(just my opinion).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by SageCat ->
Unfortunately a lot of people have the wrong idea of what being Pagan means, and immediately think of 'black magic' rites etc., but that couldn't be further from the truth. A true Pagan, as you rightly say Meg, is closely connected to the earth and nature in all its forms, and we honour and respect it in our own way.
I guess I am probably nearer to the Humanists than anyone, but I know that some branches of Paganism recognise 'the divine in nature' and I can equate with that

I love the changing seasons and the natural order of things. Nothing is wasted in nature, everything grows, has its time and then dies back and this includes the human body which after death contributes to the cycle of growth
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 03:42 PM

As Azz will be able to see I am on a different computer in our community room this morning, didn't even know they still had cable on it until now. The are putting new carpet in my apartment.

I was brought up catholic and my children all went to catholic schools but I am no longer. It wasn't so much the priests who needed help but the cover up that did it for me. I believe there is a God but in what form, I couldn't even guess but I do know the God I believe in would not want killing and wars in the name of God.

I do respect anyone who has faith in their religion but I just feel it's not for me.

Catholic churches are being closed all over the states and I feel so sorry for those people who have kept it going for so long. If the Pope would sell just a bit of the gold in the Vatican it could keep these churches open for the people and feed the starving children of the world.

We can only believe what we believe and we are all different.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 03:56 PM

It's sad, so many stories are coming to light recently about the catholic church, what they did in Spain after the Spanish Civil War was horrendous, the priests supported Franco and thousands of children were orphaned whose parents had opposed him, I saw an elderly gentleman with tears in his eyes recalling what the priests had done to him from the age of four.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 06:35 PM

Religion has caused nearly every war there has been in this world!
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
It's sad, so many stories are coming to light recently about the catholic church, what they did in Spain after the Spanish Civil War was horrendous, the priests supported Franco and thousands of children were orphaned whose parents had opposed him, I saw an elderly gentleman with tears in his eyes recalling what the priests had done to him from the age of four.
I think you can find horror stories in all religions... All have not to nice pasts, when you look at it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 09:53 PM

I was raised Catholic, but have been lapsed since my late teens. I had trouble with so many of the Church's teachings: on abortion, that animals have no souls, unbaptised children not going to Heaven, gays, non-ordination of women ... the Church is so patriarchal.I do believe that there is a Something, a presence, that created the world, and hope there is a hereafter. But we will never know.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I was raised Catholic, but have been lapsed since my late teens. I had trouble with so many of the Church's teachings: on abortion, that animals have no souls, unbaptised children not going to Heaven, gays, non-ordination of women ... the Church is so patriarchal.I do believe that there is a Something, a presence, that created the world, and hope there is a hereafter. But we will never know.
Eileen, you hit on so many of the teachings of the Church that really bother me as well.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top