Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 04:52 PM

Re: Crossing Breeds

Anyone here on Dogsey who can put that link up about Monty the Labradoodle? I tried but it didn't work, it's a fantastic story.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:10 PM

Here goes lets see if it works

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=162918
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:32 PM

That's the one DL, thanks
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Yes, it worked.
What a wonderful story, such an intelligent and faithful dog.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 07:43 PM

I have two GSDs, a shorthaired Pointer and a cross Dobie / GSD.
|The point about getting a specific breed is that you know what that dog is bred for and what size etc it will be.
My Shepherds are loyal, guardy and intelligent. My Shorthair flushes, Points and loves the open fields while being people-centred. That`s what they have been bred for.
My crossbreed I have had to work hard with as he has the independence of the Dobe with the exciteability of the Shepherd. Not a cross I would recommend, but he needed a home.
I really don`t see the point of crossing a hunting dog (spaniel) with another hunting dog (poodle) just to get a different coat. For me, character, temperament and aptitude is far more important than looks.
Poodles are notoriously bright and self-willed. That is what you are adding to a Spaniel - who has been bred to be obsessive about scent but biddable enough to give up the retrieved prey. So a cross of the two may well give you a bright, worky little dog. It could just as easily give you a snappy and difficult dog.
Lately people are waking up to the fact that Poodle crosses do not all have non-shedding coats. Thankfully.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 07:56 PM

I have the original mongrels - Jack Russell terriers.

I have bred them and you never know what you are getting, all shapes and sizes, smooth and rough coats and all the colour combinations! I even tried breeding two almost identically marked dogs but got the same mixture.

I have no problem with cross breeds, just some of the crazy prices that people charge for the latest fashion.

But lets face it our dogs are precious to us whatever their provenance!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 08:26 PM

I'm saying nowt
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Was out on a walk a short while ago and chatting to a man who had a 4 month old Labradoodle. He was telling me all about her and then told me he had paid £900 for her

All I said was that is a lot to pay for a x-breed....he then said she was a pure bred dog, followed by unrepeatable language I just walked away leaving him ranting. Won't be making that comment to anyone else that has a labradoodle or other......
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 11:19 PM

I think Labradoodles are a recognised breed now because they are bred as assistant dogs. I used to care for a man with MS and he had one, she was amazing, the first one I had met. I think how much you pay for a dog is your own business really, same as how much you pay for a car or cigarettes or alcohol, everyone is different. As long as the dog is cared for thats the main thing.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2012, 11:21 PM

So many of these crosses are just money makers, we have a real mixture of them here..The last one was an Toodle! Tibetan TerrierXPoodle....It was seemingly a pure pedigree Dog, and was also KC registered.....I did not say anything...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top