Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 11:30 AM

Re: Sir Andy Murray?????

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Do you extend your disaproval to all sports and other entertainments?

So, no athletes, no footballers or managers, no racing drivers, no yachtsmen/women, no musicians or singers, actors etc?? In fact anyone in 'the public eye' irrespective of what they've done?

Do you want a 2 (or multi-) tier honours system?
Yes, I do. I think knighthoods should be reserved for unsung heroes rather than those who are always in the public eye for doing their normal job.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 11:48 AM

So, no athletes, no footballers or managers, no racing drivers, no yachtsmen/women, no musicians or singers, actors etc?? In fact anyone in 'the public eye' irrespective of what they've done?

Personally I want an honours system that honours public service, not just for being in the public eye. It is naive to believe that the honours system as it stands is not used almost exclusively for political patronage, and I would rather see a knighthood given to someone who digs the road up in all weathers than to any sportsman, athlete or entertainer, who's success brings it's own accolades.....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Well said, plantman!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 12:09 PM

These public figures should just get a badge saying something like "I've just coined my first Million" or "I am considerably richer than you".
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I want. I have no problem if a celebrity receives an Honour for doing something very honorable that has nothing to do with their job.

The world of sport already hands out its own awards so, in effect, there is already a multi system. Personally, I'd do away with all Honours - it's insulting to those who work just as hard at helping others but get no recognition; not that many want it, they're happy to work quietly in the background trying to make a difference. As it stands at the moment, it's like a form of nepotism.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Well said, plantman!
Agreed and a good post on it from you too orangutan.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 06:39 PM

B-V, surely the thing about "celebrities" is that they can use their influence for good causes - because they are "cleberities". So, if I understand correctly, you disaprove of say, a musician, receiving an honour for being a musician, even if they use their work as a musician to raise loads for charity. However if they do the same thing without using to their musical ability, then that is worthy of an honour ??

That's like saying a world famous doctor shouldn't be given an honour for discovering a cure for lurgi - because he is a doctor and that's his job!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 06:46 PM

But - why shouldn't they use their influence and give something back to those less fortunate, they dont need a medal for that unless - they go out to needy countries or go out to our homeless people here and work hands on as - so many ordinary folk do, even giving up their lifestyle to do so.
These people 'are' incredible and totally selfless .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 07:09 PM

I don't think there should be any knighthoods,
..it is an outdated concept designed for the days when loyalty was rewarded with favors and patronage.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2013, 07:24 PM

My 'sixpence worth'. I have disagreed with the honours system for years.

A 'celebrity' usually gets a fair whack for following his/her chosen path, plus the recognition of success. I think that more applause should be given to the 'unsung heroes' of whom we hear very little..........

Just my view.

Gwyn

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top