Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Re: Childhood memories

Oh I remember iodine very well, and it did sting! And mercurochrome (sp?), bright red and didn't smart as much. Anyone remember powdered alum used to stanch bleeding of small cuts?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 04:45 PM

We used to use a styptic pencil to stop bleeding.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 04:55 PM

I think that's essentially the same thing, Uncle Joe; compressed alum.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Going to the shop was always fascinating, watching them pat the butter, weigh sugar into blue bags, cutting a wedge of cheese with the cheesewire and asking for some broken biscuits out of the bottom of the tin because they were a couple of pennies cheaper than whole ones....oh, and the excitement of taking a bottle back and getting threepence to spend on sweets....

And can you remember your mum's Co-op number? Ours was 55280..
Going to the co-op for a quarter of 99 tea, and some rich tea biscuits. Then to the butcher for some chops my divi number was 018189. That was over 50 years ago and our telephone number was 4471
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

02-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Oh my, four digit phone numbers, had completely forgotten about them! Ours was 5790, then became 6-5790, then WO 6-5790! And we had a party line until after the War!
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 12:46 AM

had a mad childhood, did 'war' charity shows with all sorts of famous people, trod the boards of the 'Met' and the London Pavillion ( plus church halls etc,) later loved 50's Soho was an amazing place with the cross dressers in dresses to die for, and did a strippers turn when her daughter was taken ill and had no one else to stand in for her, met people like the Cray twins. had a ride on the police horse that lead the coronation in exchange for cleaning tack, helped with the coal and milk horses, and got to feed the animals in the zoo, and cuddle some cubs and a friendly lion, learnt to repair cane chairs seats from an old man who sat in the gutter to do it, and listened to stories told by an elderly junk shop owner who had stuff like aladdins lamp, cinderellas ball gown, yah ok he lied but but I was a gulliable 6 year old, went with a guard at the museum to the storerooms and tried on some of the jewellery and held stuff that was millions of years old. , we made dens and built a street bonfire night bonfire on an unexploded bomb on a piece of waste land. ran away with the circus (to help with the animals) and the fair (for a couple of nights) never ought to have reach adulthood, think kids miss out on so much these days
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

03-08-2011, 01:51 AM

It was a different world back then, seaspirit. Kids today have smart phones and video games, music on demand and cameras in everything, but I do wonder if they have as much fun as we did with our unorganized play and our games based on our imaginations........???
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
had a mad childhood, did 'war' charity shows with all sorts of famous people, trod the boards of the 'Met' and the London Pavillion ( plus church halls etc,) later loved 50's Soho was an amazing place with the cross dressers in dresses to die for, and did a strippers turn when her daughter was taken ill and had no one else to stand in for her, met people like the Cray twins. had a ride on the police horse that lead the coronation in exchange for cleaning tack, helped with the coal and milk horses, and got to feed the animals in the zoo, and cuddle some cubs and a friendly lion, learnt to repair cane chairs seats from an old man who sat in the gutter to do it, and listened to stories told by an elderly junk shop owner who had stuff like aladdins lamp, cinderellas ball gown, yah ok he lied but but I was a gulliable 6 year old, went with a guard at the museum to the storerooms and tried on some of the jewellery and held stuff that was millions of years old. , we made dens and built a street bonfire night bonfire on an unexploded bomb on a piece of waste land. ran away with the circus (to help with the animals) and the fair (for a couple of nights) never ought to have reach adulthood, think kids miss out on so much these days
What wonderful memories seaspirit, now that is a book I would like to read Life like that from a 6 year olds perspective brilliant. Let me be the first to order a copy
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 02:31 PM

don't have the skill to make it a book.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

04-08-2011, 05:21 PM

That would be the thing your book would be simple and told in an easy to read way with no frills and packing. I like books like that. Get yourself a voice recorder and talk tell your stories into it then type them up later.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top