Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Re: The Curse of the Mobile Phone

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It drives me up the wall when I come across fellow seniors who have a mobile phone but never turn it on as it is just for 'emergencies' because it is so expensive.

When you ask them how much their home phone bill is you can bet it is $35 a month or more. Then you explain to them that for less money they could get rid of their home phone (or get the free inContact service) and have unlimited mobile phone calls and the internet, all the services and convenience that the mobile services provide. Some are now changing over.

A number express the fear than in an emergency they think the fixed line is more reliable but then realise that their phone actually needs mains power to operate (not always true) but anyway fixed lines no longer use dedicated exchange equipment and are subject to similar over loading as the mobile network.

If it weren't for my ADSL Internet I would have ditched the fixed line years ago (roll on the NBN). All my calls are made from my mobile. None of my kids have a fixed line and rely entirely on their mobile phone and, like most seniors, rely on the mobile network for their internet connection too.

I would have thought the situation in the UK, where even local calls are timed, was even more conducive to having a mobile phone only. Have any of you ditched your fixed line entirely?
I don't have a landline. Here it is something like 25 euros per month just to have a line and I don't use the phone much. Broadband is via a satellite dish. My mobile phone is only used for texts and occasional calls, and costs me 15 euros per month which includes more texts and calls than I ever need.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bruce my BT landline is £11.75 a month (paid a year in advance) it provides my internet connection and that is another £5 a month plus calls to my service provider. I make about one call a week , you can't get much cheaper than that My landline calls are free in the evening and at weekends .

I would never get rid of my landline, it is a lifeline when the electricity goes off, a mobile isn't much use if you can't charge it up.

My electricity was off for 4 days one winter.
That's why I keep my land line. We had an ice storm a few years ago, and no electricity for five days.

I have unlimited talk and text on my cell phone. It is especially important to me because I am not married, and if my car breaks down I have to call the auto club for help. That has happened, once on Dec 31, and believe me it was cold outside.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 02:55 PM

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ng-on-facebook the curse gets worse !
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 05:33 PM

My Iphone is my daughters old contract one that she gave me. I'm on a sim contract that costs me £6.90 a month. For that I get 3000 texts 200 minutes talk time and oddles of internet time. It can also be capped so the user can't go over the monthly allowances. More than enough of everything for myself. My youngest grandson is also on this and even he finds it's enough. I use the camera all the time on my hill hoofs and when out with the horses. I love my phone.....

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 08:18 PM

That's terrific value!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 09:55 PM

I still see people with one hand on the steering wheel chatting away and they are invariably the ones that are not in full control of their vehicles.

Tourist walks off Australia pier while checking Facebook

So easy to do, or to walk in to the path of a vehicle.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 11:22 PM

I know I collide with my sofa a lot!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 11:25 AM

It costs me close to £40pm just for the landline and the internet (which I'm thinking of having turned off as the cost just keeps going up). There's really no excuse for it as Manx Telecom (as far as I know, is owned by Telefonica).

I mainly use the mobile but can't always be bothered to go and get my glasses if I'm texting - then one of my granddaughters will ring and say 'nanny, put your glasses on, you're texting rubbish again'. Charming
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Are you using invisible ink again Mark?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top