Join for free
Page 344 of 428 « First < 244 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 354 394 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Re: Your weather

Originally Posted by skinnyliz ->
Oh Uncle, it is now 6.30pm and too late to enjoy the sunshine your way, thanks for the offer though. We do have the sun here now, perhaps you are sharing it.
Maz darlin' - I'm a friendly guy I always share!!! BTW - hello and welcome to the forum.
skinnyliz
New Member!
london
skinnyliz is female 

08-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Thanks Uncle Joe, hope I can find my way around this site, I usually get lost trying and then have to give up. This was my first posting so here hoping. Skinnyliz
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 09:40 AM

: shock:

New storm warning after tornado

A storm taken from the A34 heading south at Kidlington, Oxfordshire (Richard Glazer/PA)View Photo

A storm taken from the A34 heading south at Kidlington, Oxfordshire (Richard Glazer/PA)

Britain could be braced for more thunder and lightning after a "special" type of storm swept across the country, bringing with it a tornado to some areas.

Forecasters said there was a "definite chance" of further thunderstorm activity after an unusual "supercell" storm travelled through the south Midlands on Monday afternoon, bringing rain, large hailstones, and a tornado in Oxfordshire.

The thunderstorm started in Wiltshire, and moved across Oxfordshire - where a tornado was reported in several places including Bicester, Eynsham, and Kidlington - then moved to Buckinghamshire.

Richard Glazer drove through the tornado with his wife and son on the A34 near Kidlington, Oxfordshire. "It was very wet, we were just driving on the A34 and looked up and realised one part of the sky was moving in one direction and another in the opposite direction," he said. "I thought, 'that looks like a tornado!' We pretty much drove through it, we were right underneath it. As we drove into it the trees were blowing left to right and as we got through it they were blowing the other way."

Forecasters said it was almost certainly a tornado, and the storm that caused it was thought to be a supercell storm - more commonly seen in the US than the UK.

Brendan Jones, forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said it was unlikely there would be another supercell storm in the coming week, as they require very specific atmospheric conditions. However, heavy rain has been predicted for much of the country, which could bring more thunder and lightning, Mr Jones said.

He continued: "It's going to remain unsettled, there will be rain and showers around and there is a definite chance of more thunderstorm activity. This particular thunderstorm developed over the northern part of Wiltshire, and then gradually over the next three hours that storm tracked through Oxfordshire and into part of Buckinghamshire before eventually dying out before it got to Cambridgeshire. That's quite far for one thunderstorm to track.

"At the moment it's difficult to say exactly where the tornado was because while the parent thunderstorm travelled all the way across the south Midlands, it wasn't necessarily producing a tornado all the time. There has been more than one report of a tornado beneath this storm. There has also been some quite big hailstones."

He said the UK had seen plenty of reports of tornadoes and funnel clouds - which do not touch the ground - but not supercell storms, adding: "This one was fairly special."

The storm comes less than two weeks after high winds tore through Rugby, Warwickshire, blowing the roof from one home and damaging others, described by some people as being like a "mini tornado".
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Surprise, surprise ..... we actually have sunshine today!
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 12:25 AM

Tornados in the UK? What the hell is happening with the world?
Having said that, it's 17C here today and the long range forecast is calling for sunny skies and temps in the 15-20C range so the Lord giveth and the lord taketh away.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 01:07 AM

We've had mini tornadoes here in the UK before now.

I'm just looking forward to being able to out sleeveless without feeling that nip.

It's 9C at the moment.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Well it was sunny today here, a bit watery but sun never the less.
skinnyliz
New Member!
london
skinnyliz is female 

10-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Seen that message of yours Uncle, that sounds very encouraging for weathers to come. Yesterday was again heavy rain, today is forecast the same. Trust they will be on the ball for a change with sun for w/e as I plan to visit my caravan, something I have only been able to do once since opening up in April.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Popped out for a couple of bits lunchtime and decided to buy a coffee at McD's and sit in the car park and watch the world go by.
The sky went black and we were treated to a very noisy hailstorm. The car park was covered and it looked like snow! Then the sun came out
We now have a thunderstorm and the sky is black again...is it any wonder we are known to be obsessed by the weather?
skinnyliz
New Member!
london
skinnyliz is female 

15-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Hi Janela, know what you mean about the weather, I never went out and I'm glad I didn't, thunder and lightening and heavy, heavy rain, Went to my caravan at w/e, weather although chilly wind, sun shone all time, good job it wasn;t today. Skinnyliz

Page 344 of 428 « First < 244 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 354 394 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top