Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
viking vic
west yorkshire
viking vic is male  viking vic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Re: Should voting be compulsory?

Originally Posted by Grouse ->
You all seem to be missing the point in the recent election 70% of the UK chose not to vote, their democratic right, ythey are the majority yet the minority seem to be demanding that they are in the right, make voting compulsory and fine those that dont making them criminals.

Why are you ignoring the fact that people have stopped voting, its a worldwild malaise . My local election held on a fine sunny day with the polls open for 15 hours only managed to get a 32% turnout, i was first in the line when the polling station opened, only the 3 main parties fielded a candidate, for the post of mayor. Not one of the 3 ever knocked on my door, just the usual non specific leaflet from a couple posted through the door.

Tring to find what they actually stood for was a joke, not one would commit to anything prefering to take cheap shots at the opposition. Is it surprising people feel its a waste to vote for them.

I took the Richard Pryor option, "none of the above" it will be interesting to see how many more spoiled votes were posted.

I would like to see any party go down the compulsory vote road, i reckon it will be another poll tax fiasco. I for one would do all i can to oppose such.
Tring to find what they actually stood for was a joke, not one would commit to anything prefering to take cheap shots at the opposition. Is it surprising people feel its a waste to vote for them.

NAIL ON THE HEAD GROUSE
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Dont it get yer goat Fran - do they really think we're impressed with their jibes at one another - has the opposite affect for me - bunch of schoolboys !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 08:35 PM

I very seldom talk about modern politicians or politics, it always makes my blood boil and that's not good for me, but I have to agree with some of the posts here, notably Grouse.
The whole political system is rotten to the core, you vote one bad crowd out you get another bad crowd in, you vote them out after they have feathered their nests and another flock of dirty birds come back looking to feather their nests and on and on it goes and will never stop unless the people stop it by not voting at all, the whole bunch of them are rotten and until we have a return of honest candidates who value their promises to the public, put the people before the party, and stick to their guns when elected, should the public resume voting. Forcing people to vote will have the opposite effect in my opinion, votes will be spoiled en mass, and it's nothing short of asking people to put the noose around their own necks, no this runaway gravy train has got to be stopped somehow, I was very pleased only 30% of British folks voted, surely that speaks for itself, it shows how disgusted ordinary people are with todays leaders and how they are copping on fast to their lies and couldn't care less attitude towards the public, now the public are letting them know they couldn't care less about them, the same public who are making all the sacrifices in these tough times, how about politicians making a few sacrifices themselves, not on your nelly, I hope the greedy politicians see this as the beginning of the end for them and hopefully a return to honest good leadership.
viking vic
west yorkshire
viking vic is male  viking vic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 09:38 PM

surely the time has come for some politician with some balls to stand up and be counted and for us the electorate to tell them we want a new system and thinking about it your right jem everybody spoil the voting papers god it would kick up a right storm imagine the news media next day in m/o it is a good idea
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Jan said : ---I do realise, it is your democratic right not to vote

Me too Jan, but it is your civic duty to go or fill in a voting form, you don't have to vote for anybody you don't like, that is your right, just put the paper in the box blank.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I very seldom talk about modern politicians or politics, it always makes my blood boil and that's not good for me, but I have to agree with some of the posts here, notably Grouse.
The whole political system is rotten to the core, you vote one bad crowd out you get another bad crowd in, you vote them out after they have feathered their nests and another flock of dirty birds come back looking to feather their nests and on and on it goes and will never stop unless the people stop it by not voting at all, the whole bunch of them are rotten and until we have a return of honest candidates who value their promises to the public, put the people before the party, and stick to their guns when elected, should the public resume voting. Forcing people to vote will have the opposite effect in my opinion, votes will be spoiled en mass, and it's nothing short of asking people to put the noose around their own necks, no this runaway gravy train has got to be stopped somehow, I was very pleased only 30% of British folks voted, surely that speaks for itself, it shows how disgusted ordinary people are with todays leaders and how they are copping on fast to their lies and couldn't care less attitude towards the public, now the public are letting them know they couldn't care less about them, the same public who are making all the sacrifices in these tough times, how about politicians making a few sacrifices themselves, not on your nelly, I hope the greedy politicians see this as the beginning of the end for them and hopefully a return to honest good leadership.

Jim matey, Haven't I been advocating this for a while now??? - the whole SYSTEM of government needs changing. As I have repeatedly said, we need to abolish the Upper House as a depository for failed politicians and make it a fully elected second chamber. Members of Parliament, instead of being representatives, should be DELEGATES, MANDATED to vote according to how their constituents want, not how the 'Party' Whips want them to vote. Secondly, that electorate, should have the right of recall at any time. Finally, in abolishing the House of Lords, we no longer need a monarch either, but by making the country a fully democratic system, we need an elected President.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2013, 12:04 PM

I would fiercely defend someone's right not to vote - especially if it meant voting for someone they didn't actually support or 'spoiling' the ballot paper; what's the point of that? What have you actually achieved? All they'll do is ignore it so people have wasted their time anyway. Silly idea.

Originally Posted by viking vic ->
surely the time has come for some politician with some balls to stand up and be counted and for us the electorate to tell them we want a new system and thinking about it your right jem everybody spoil the voting papers god it would kick up a right storm imagine the news media next day in m/o it is a good idea
^^^This. The vast majority of people have no faith in the political system and no way of addressing that other than a refusal to vote. It seems to me that in the UK, it's always Tory then Labour then Tory then Labour so on and so on and where has it got the country?

Now if the reforms included the right of people to vote an ineffective politican out, that I could support and it would, most likely, increase turn-out on voting days. It's not likely to happen though: you can't expect those who benefit from an existing situation to go ahead and change it.
viking vic
west yorkshire

05-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Dont it get yer goat Fran - do they really think we're impressed with their jibes at one another - has the opposite affect for me - bunch of schoolboys !
sorry pats that i didn't get back to you yesterday === yes it does get your goat that they always act like little children but they are the first ones on the backs of school leavers or 16 year olds if they give replys like they do
viking vic
west yorkshire

05-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Jim matey, Haven't I been advocating this for a while now??? - the whole SYSTEM of government needs changing. As I have repeatedly said, we need to abolish the Upper House as a depository for failed politicians and make it a fully elected second chamber. Members of Parliament, instead of being representatives, should be DELEGATES, MANDATED to vote according to how their constituents want, not how the 'Party' Whips want them to vote. Secondly, that electorate, should have the right of recall at any time. Finally, in abolishing the House of Lords, we no longer need a monarch either, but by making the country a fully democratic system, we need an elected President.
agree entirely uncle joe its the only way forwards for us
viking vic
west yorkshire

05-05-2013, 04:04 PM

then i came across this study of the italian system

http://http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/category/authors/andrea-monticini/

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top